i. AN UNEVENTFUL DISTURBANCE

chapter one,

an uneventful disturbance.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

[unedited] 1.

i was playing a random music playlist that had popped up in my spotify feed. it wasn't bad enough for me to turn off, or good enough for me to pay attention to it, so i grabbed my art book and started to draw.

the drawing would be sloppy, as i disregarded any planning because i just wasn't that into it. i created a silhouette of a boy's body, but i didn't know how to draw the head. maybe the photo didn't need a head.

the song was leading up to a beat drop, but i paused the song before that. i could hear another song playing. although it was faded between the walls, i could decipher that the genre was way different than mine, and that their music was loud and annoying.

this music i couldn't stand. whoever was playing this needed to turn it off.

i glanced up from my drawing, looking around my room. my gaze finally fell upon my windowsill at the house across the street. the lights were on and shining proudly in the darkness, making the house look as if it was made of gold. as if it held the superior of human-kind.

i didn't like that.

i got off my chair and walked closer, the song becoming more and more clearer. if i tried hard enough, i could depict lyrics.

i opened the window and the colors changed inside the house. they were raving between the colors of the rainbow, giving me a headache.

the house was newly bought by a couple of nobodies who kindly declined my house warming gift. surprisingly, i cared about my reputation, so i bought my new neighbors a beautiful bouquet of red and white colored roses. they costed me a fortune, which made my wallet beg me to get a job. i'm aware, wallet, i'm aware.

i remember awkwardly knocking on their door, a boy who stood a tall 5 foot 11 opening. his awkward eyes just stupidly sat with mine while i sputtered out my welcoming words, something like, "welcome to the neighborhood! i'm zak, i live right across the street. right there." i pointed, god, i pointed, "it's a pretty nice place, i'd say. it's safe, and the people are nice enough." the flowers in my hand were becoming heavy, leaving a dent in my heart as he spoke, "i'm allergic."

"wh—" i hadn't stopped talking yet. it didn't matter to him, "the flowers. i'm allergic."

my confidence fell. "oh ..! well uh.. i guess i'll jus—"

and the door was slammed in my face. just like that, that man thought he was entitled to treating me like that. i might've been years younger than him, but age doesn't mean maturity. his rudeness still brought a scowl to my lips.

the music wasn't my type, so it was garbage. utter garbage. it was too loud and too messy and too scream-y. i didn't want to listen to it, so i wouldn't. i grabbed my headphones off the side of my desk and slipped them on my head.

i loved the freedom of listening without headphones, but loved the protection the headphones gave me once they were secured around my head. it made a shield and blocked out all of the worlds occurrences, making everything irrelevant except for the music. my music could never be irrelevant. it was too important for that.

i continued the playlist, trying effortlessly to get back into the drawing. i decided to draw the face with no emotion, leaving only the frowning mouth visible. they were holding a basket of dark colored roses in their hand, but the roses were falling. he was even stepping on one. the poor rose.

the thought of adding color disgusted me, so i skipped that part. i thought of skipping all the other parts, too, and ripping up the paper. i left the paper in my drawer, but i ripped up the essence of wonder it gave me. wonder of what it could've been.

i hated thinking. focus on the music. the beat. the way it made me feel. the different ways i could take in the story it was trying to tell.

that damn house. it kept on revisiting my brain. i tried to push away any memory i had of it, and throw it into oblivion. the house was irrelevant, and so were the people inside. i shut the blinds i had, blocking out any of their aura.

i could try hard enough to forget about it, but fail to forget the money i'll never get back because of it.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

when my music came too much, i made it end. i had been mindlessly swiping through my phone for hours, searching for something to ease my bored mind. there was nothing, and so i decided it might be a good time for sleep.

but my neighbors disagreed. their music was possibly louder than before, and the beat traveled straight to my room. i could feel the slight shake in my house that wasn't there before. the twitch. the bounce. all of it.

it was late. past midnight. respectfully, they should turn down the volume. i was going insane. even as i shoved my entire body under the covers, laying on my side and shoving my ears into the pillow and my blanket, i could still hear that whisper of a tune.

it was rude. they were rude. i so wasn't in the mood for this. i'm tired, and desperately lacking some sense of sleep. i gave them some time to turn it off, so now they should listen.

this better be a one-time thing. i will not put up with this every night. okay. i'll let tonight slide. they've just moved into the neighborhood, i should cut some slack. it's not like there are many people invited to that party, anyway. i don't even know if it was a party.

whatever. they can blast their garbage music to the entire street. they can flaunt it, show it off like some trophy or award. so much of a good first impression that would be.

a knock at my door put me out of my stress. i pressed my head into my pillow, and annoyingly sighed, "yes?"

"calm with the attitude, already." my mother let herself into my room. "god, it's a mess in here."

"so are you just going to criticize me or do you have a purpose?" it came out rude, but i intended it to be, so i didn't mind. she always had something to say.

"your neighbors have invited us to a party. on saturday."

saturday was in two days. no way in the devil's name will she get me to go to that party.

"we're going. i don't care for your if-it's-not-about-me-i-don't-care bull crap, you're going. they were nice enough to invite us and they seem like nice people."

"but i thought you hated parties? you told me no every time i was invited to them, so why should i go now?" i repelled, the saltiness being bitter toward her skin. she hated my guts. that made me proud. "those were teenage parties. nothing but problems come from those."

so they don't have any teenagers, either. great. what a fun party this will be. with parents.

"i've already told them that you're going, so you can't back out. also the tall one apologized about the flowers? i didn't know what he was talking about, but he told me that someone brought him flowers or something? he felt bad."

ah. that definitely explains why he slammed the door in my face.

"okay. leave now." i groaned. i still haven't looked up at her. her face grew in disbelief, "pardon me?"

"you've come in my room, forced me to do something, you've done you're work. now you can leave." i said.

"clean this mess up. and while you're at it, change that attitude. life doesn't have to be so hard all the time."

well, that just depends on how you view the world. with happy lenses, or sad ones.

i guess i've chosen the midway between the two.

»«