x. OH , ISN'T HE LOVELY

chapter ten,

oh , isn't he lovely.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

[unedited] 10.

it had been two days. two days in which i had done absolutely nothing but mourn my future and listen to my mom mumble about my hand (which had healed to a certain extent.) today, i was planning to mourn some more, but an unexpected picture popped up.

my flower drawing. i found it in my closet, under my laundry basket, all crumpled up. it hurt me to look at. 

i picked it up, folding it into a small square and putting it into my sweatpants's pocket. all while, there was a knock at my front door. i jumped, knowing that my mother was out of the house and i was the only one here.

alone. 

i peered out my window, trying to get an idea of who was responsible for the knocking and if they were worth my time. 

i saw the edge of black converse, and knew my answer.

i slowly walked down the stairs, dreading each step of which i'd knew i would have to see darryl. he was my weakness. something about him was just too powerful.

he knocked again, quieter this time. "coming." i yelled, unlocking the door and opening it.

in his hands, he held a basket of red and white colored roses, saying, "hey. i'm darryl. i live right across the street, right there." he pointed behind him, smiling, "it's a pretty nice place, i'd say. it's safe, and the people here — from what i know — will change your life." he sniffled, the flowers giving him a small allergic reaction, "even with all your flaws, they'll find a perfection to outshine them all. i think that's pretty damn nice." he handed me the flowers, his perfect smile never leaving his face, "i'm sorr-"

"stop it." i told him, admiring the flowers. "don't apologize for anything."

"you know i can't do that!" he exclaimed, and the corners of my mouth started to lift, "yeah, i know."

i sighed, "don't worry, i won't slam the door on you. come in."

darryl chuckled, reminding me, "that was my lowest moment."

"same here." i said, moving out of the way so he could step inside. i went to go walk to the stairs, but darryl stopped me, "wait," i took a second to look at him, his features becoming pink, "i wanted to ask you if you wanted to go out to lunch with me? you really don't have to if you don't want to, and if you've already had lunch, then that's okay. i just thought, you know, it would be nice to go. together."

"sure." i responded instantly, missing the feeling of him being around, "yeah. i can go." but with what money?

"okay. that's good. we can leave in five minutes?" he asked.

"that sounds good to me." i said, tiptoeing back to the stairs, "wanna come upstairs?"

"sure." he replied, trailing behind me. we walked up my stairs together, and i asked him, "what time is it?"

"it's three." 

i nodded, "my mother will be home at six, then. i don't even know where she is."