xii. GET ME OUT OF MY MIND

chapter twelve,

get me out of my mind.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

[unedited] 12.

the night was going even better than i expected. the food that we shared tasted wonderful, darryl was always laughing at my stupid jokes, and a smile never left my face. it was my favorite night so far. i wished it would last forever.

darryl offered to pay for the entire meal. was it evil that i was thankful? how would i have paid, anyway?

as we were putting on our jackets, darryl announced to me that, "i gotta go use the washroom. i'll be back in a second."

i nodded, "okay." and smiled. he smiled back, and went on his way. 

randomly, beth came up behind me, saying, "sir, can i ask you something? out of complete respect, if i may add."

i turned toward her, "go for it."

"why did you ask for a booth for two, when there was only one of you?" she asked. 

"excuse me?" i wondered. she pursed her lips, putting her hands behind her back, "you were on your own.. unless, the other person left without me noticing?"

"ooh." i understood, "he just left for the washroom. he'll be back in a second."

she didn't believe me. why didn't she believe me.

"okay, sorry for the inconvenience." she told, "none at al—"

"are you ready to go?" darryl asked, and i agreed, "yeah."

"do you wanna go to the park?" 

i held open the door for him, "that sounds nice."

it was now late, and my mother was bound to be home by now. whatever. let her worry. the sky was a thousand colors mixed into one, some gray, blue, and purple painted beautifully in swirls. the sun was setting, which made the temperature fall. i shoved my hands into my pockets and pulled my hood over my head, walking to darryl's car.

he was 16, and owning this. 

i got into the passengers seat, fastening my seat belt. he checked if i had put it on, nodded, and started the car.

we drove silently, the small hum of the radio being enough noise for us. 

or, maybe it wasn't, because i felt myself

falling. i felt pain in my legs start to writhe, and i groaned, being placed in that box.

i was back. now, the walls actually had words on them. i walked closer, squinting my eyes at the small font. it read, 'important things never easily vanish, except really wasted aspiring supremacy.'

"what?" i questioned. "what does this mean?"

no answer. the quietness was piercing to my ears, sounding a quiet buzzing sound. it went from quiet, to blaring. i covered my ears as best i could, yelling hopelessly, "hello!?"

the ringing got louder, making me start to tear up. my ears were going to explode. i blinked, life stopping, while looking over at darryl and shaking him, "he- hello?"

he glanced over at me, opening his mouth. he tried speaking, but nothing came out. "darryl, look where you're driving- oh my god, darryl! darryl!" i shook him harshly, "darryl! we're going to crash!" 

he fell back into the seat lifelessly, the car stopping suddenly in the middle of a busy street. i screamed, "darryl!" 

horns were louder than the buzzing, and then it all went blank. my mind, my body, my soul. i could hear honking, but faintly.