𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

just a small little heads up; i will from now on be writing in third person! over my hiatus, i have adopted a new writing style that i, personally, feel way more comfortable in than i ever was writing in first person. i hope you all are okay with this change! i will also be writing in all lowercase, since i feel most comfortable with it :)

_________________________________

"BUT WHY WOULD mr. stark trust you— the girl who literally fought against him— over me, spiderman, the dude who actually fought for him?" peter scoffed at cindy's story, tongue dragging along the surface of his dampened bottom lip. she could tell by the wrinkle in his brow that indeed, peter parker had been royally pissed off— and she would be lying if she said he didn't have the right to be.

he was right after all— there were many reasons why he shouldn't have taken her in— and she was still trying to figure out why he did in the first place.

her shoulders heaved in response, the pads of her fingers pressing into her elbows.

"i don't know," she murmured her confession, irises cowering to the ground below her feet. "trust me, i'm trying to make just as much sense of this whole thing as you are."

the atmosphere was tense to say the absolute least, peter parker's jealousy oozing out of his every pore like a river. it's not like he wanted to be adopted by tony stark— he was quite content with his life with his aunt may— but for mr. stark to choose this random girl over him?

mr. stark had trusted him to fight alongside him when things got rough between the avengers, but he chooses to take her in? he most certainly looked up to tony stark, and not that he would blatantly call him a fool, but this just didn't make any sense.

the silence between the two became prolonged, and cindy found herself trying to claw her way through the murky fog of tension, desperately trying to stay afloat the surface. it was suffocating, yet, neither one of them really had much else to say. all they could do was stand there and stare at the floor, hands tucked inside pockets or arms crossed around their chests.

she had become so accustomed to the silence, her heart did somersaults when the cacophony of the school bell permeated the room, her limbs locking, her eyes practically popping out of their sockets. the tension remained, but at least now they had an excuse to leave the room.

"we better get going," peter muttered, and cindy nodded in agreement, giddy she could exit the situation. "but don't even think about tryng anything to hurt mr. stark or else."

the reaction he got was rather unpleasant to say the least. cindy couldn't help the snicker she emitted, teeth sinking down into her bottom lip to suppress the urge to burst into laughter right in his face. peter blinked, his embarassment already creeping to his cheeks with a soft scarlet glow.

"wow parker, my timbers are really starting to shiver now," she sniggered, ambling past him and through the doorway. peter watched as she peeked at him from over her shoulder, her amused smile a mocking crescent on her face. "you don't have to worry about the old man, it's not in my  best interest to even lay a finger on him. see you."

he watched as she stalked away to her next class, his arms remaining crossed around his chest, the memory of the bell that rang only mere moments ago almost slipping his mind. his heart thumped against his chest the entire walk to class, his lips pressed together in a firm, thin line and the crease in his brow becoming more defined by the minute.

he couldn't even try to hide his jealousy-- everything about the situation absurd, anyways. surely mr. stark wasn't already trying to replace him, right?