Chapter 1

Rey takes one last glance at her reflection in the mirror making sure everything is sitting perfectly. She practices her fake smile one more time to see if it's convincing enough. It is. Her sister Rose steps into their shared bedroom with a real smile on her lips. Rey looks at her through the mirror.

"The carriage is ready."

Rey gives a quick nod to say she understands they need to go now. She follows her sister outside to the black carriage. It's small but big enough for the two sisters to sit in the back and their father in the front. The carriage has red velvet curtains as decoration but Rey doesn't plan on hiding away inside the carriage. Two white horses stand and wait patiently for their orders to move.

The Black Castle is not far from where they live in the wealthy quarters. Most people attend the royal dances by horse and the less wealthy by foot. Only the most privileged get picked up in a royal carriage sent from the Black Castle itself. Rey knows she should feel grateful for her position compared to the less fortunate who doesn't stand much of a chance of succeeding on their own. If only it wasn't for the fact that the higher rank you have in the kingdom the less likely the chances are of getting away from King Snoke.

The poorest in the kingdom are considered nobodies as no one pays any attention to them. They can leave without anyone noticing and it won't look suspicious to King Snoke. Sometimes Rey wishes things were different for her family. One day she will find a way to travel away from this kingdom, - the kingdom of Alderaan and she'll never return. She just wants a peaceful life where she doesn't have to worry about her every move all the time.

The ride to the Black Castle is quiet. Rey glances at all the people they pass by as they are dressed in their finest clothes - some finer than others. The path to the big entrance is lighted up by huge torches all the way. The sight is alluring and makes the castle look welcoming rather than threatening.

The carriage comes to a stop and Rey steps out with the help of her father. As soon as her feet hit the ground, she smooths her dark blue dress with her hands. She looks over at Rose that does the same with her green dress. Nothing should be out of place. Sensing how nervous Rey is Rose takes her sister's hand as they walk the path to the castle.

With the ballroom insight, Rey takes a deep breath. Nothing's going to happen. They greet the counsel their father works with, dances a few times and heads home as usual. Rey reminds herself she is safely tucked in bed back in her quarter in no time.

They reach the crowd of people at the entrance that slowly inches forward. Everyone must be formally announced before entering the ballroom. Rey fights the urge to fiddle with her dress as her name is announced along with her sister and father. This tradition has always seemed odd to Rey and with the stare of everyone it only adds to her nervousness. The moment they step into the ballroom gives their father them a look that says "behave" before he leaves them to greet all of importance.

King Snoke sits firmly on the throne centred in the room. He doesn't say anything as he stares intensely at the people walking in - making sure he doesn't miss out on anything. The royal dances are sometimes random and hold without any reason. Some states it's so King Snoke can have everyone he wants to keep an eye on in one room. If someone doesn't go, it's not surprising to hear news of them being arrested for rebellion or brought in for questioning the next day. King Snoke automatically assumes if someone doesn't attend then they are hiding something.

Tonight is different though since it's the annual celebration of King Snoke's coronation. It's to keep people reminded of who their king is and where the power lies.

Rey feels a sudden chill in her bones as if she knows something but can't place it into words exactly what. A sudden hush cuts across the ballroom getting Rey's attention. She has a feeling she already knows why.