Chapter 9

Rey is mute as she's walking with Kylo from the ballroom. He's showing her where her chamber is but she's not paying attention to where they walk. Her head is held down and tears are dripping onto her dress. She won't even try to hold back her feelings. She's allowed to be upset.

"Do you understand why I did it?"

Kylo breaks the silence between them. His fingers are still intertwined with her fingers as he's pulling her along with him.

"Yes, your Majesty."

Rey's voice is soft as she replies. She doesn't want to cause any more dismay. Enough has happened already.

"You're upset."

Kylo stops so suddenly and looks down at her. Rey looks up at him through her watery eyes.

"He's my father. He raised me and my sister alone. You of all people know what it's like to have someone you care about taken away."

Rey realizes her mistake the second she's voiced her opinion. She shouldn't have said her feelings out loud. She pries her eyes off him and shamefully casts her stare at the stone floor.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Please, forgive me."

Rey doesn't dare meet his eyes. She doesn't want to admit it but his authority and status as the king frighten her a little. He can do whatever he wants and get away with it.

She feels him let go of the hand that's intertwined with hers. A finger is placed under her chin and gently tilts her head up to meet his eyes. Both of his hands tenderly grab a hold of her face and he uses his thumbs to wipe away the fresh tears from her cheeks.

"I care about you."

His words catch Rey off guard. Kylo speaks so mellowly and humane, it makes her heart flutter. His compassionate words warm her broken heart. It makes Rey question whether people judged him too quickly and labeled him a monster when in reality he might just be as broken as she is.

"I just wish it hadn't had to be like this," she mutters softly.

"Me too but what is done is done." His breath fans over her lips and Rey finds herself leaning in. Kylo pulls away from her though and she straightens her back again. His hand finds her hand again and they continue their walk down the hallway.

He shows her up some stairs that go in a circle. Rey instantly realizes Kylo has chosen a tower for her to stay in. She will be isolated and maybe that's the point.

The room she's staying in is nice and tidy. It has a small bed but it's big enough for Rey. Two windows are built-in on the right side of the bed and it provides enough sunlight to light up the whole room. A round mirror is attached to a little table and placed right next to the bed. There is a red cushion chair to sit on in front of it. The wood floor is adorned with a colossal carpet with various patterns in red, yellow, and blue.

Kylo takes Rey's silence as a bad sign.

"Are you having second thoughts?"

Rey's hand is on the sheets as she touches the fabric. It's different from home and definitely way finer than her old worn rags. Her hand stills by his question and she pivots to look at him, perplexed.

"About what?"

"About me."

There's a hint of sadness in his words but he doesn't let it show on his face. A part of her feels bad for using him as an excuse to get out of her forced arranged marriage but he's the one that asked for her hand.

Rey tiptoes over to Kylo. She stops when she's in front of him. His height tower above her.

"No." A faint smile breaks her lips and she lightly shakes her head. "No second thoughts. No regrets," she adds. There's no hesitation in her voice but she isn't sure if he's convinced.