Chapter 6

The wealthy quarter is still sleeping as she steps through her neighborhood. The birds are singing but no one is outside. It's strange what time difference can make. The places that used to be crowded with people and full of life is now uncanny and dead.

Rey can hear her name being called in the distance. Her father spots her first. He runs to her and envelops her into his arms. When he finally let her go, he raises his arm and uses the back of his hand to hit Rey's cheek. Her face falls to the side following the hard blow.

"Where have you been? Do you have any idea how long we've spent looking for you? The whole night, Rey! The whole night!"

Obi-Wan swings his arms above his head while his eyes are popping with lunacy. Rey lifts a hand to her now warm and throbbing cheek. Her bottom lip quivers and her eyes well up with tears. Her father has never laid a hand on her before. She barely knows this man in front of her.

"Are you going to say something?!"

Still in shock, Rey only just registers his words. Her mouth is dry and she can't seem to find her voice. It doesn't matter anyway. Nothing she says or does will help the situation.

The prince's words echo in her mind: Don't tell anyone what you've seen.

"You're a disgrace to this family. I didn't raise a brat so stop acting like one!"

A tear falls from the swirling sea in her eyes. She spots Poe behind her father. His face lights up with relief and he runs to where she is standing. Rose is right behind him.

"Rey."

Poe reaches out for her but Rey steps away from his grasp.

"Don't touch me," she hisses.

"Rey, please..." Poe takes a step toward her. He lifts one hand to wipe away the exasperated tears on her cheek. Her face flinches when he touches the sore skin. She avoids his gaze while he's staring down at her. His eyes linger for a moment on the red mark. He never meant for this to get so out of hand but he will do whatever it takes to make her his—even if he has to force her. She'll learn to love him. She has to. How can she not be lusting after him over his dashing looks already?

"Let's get some sleep. We're all drained from running around all night."

Rey wants to push Poe into the dirty ground when he swings an arm around her shoulder and pulls her into his side as they walk back to her house. For a moment, Rey is frightened that he's going to sleep over but that would be ridiculous since they're not married, and what's the point when he's literally living next door.

***

"She's out of control. I don't know what has gotten into her."

"Father, you did throw her off guard. How did you expect her to react?"

"Don't disrespect me, Rose."

Rey can hear the bickering of her father and Rose downstairs. The walls have thin ears and Obi-Wan isn't keen on keeping his voice down. Rey has finally stopped crying. She went upstairs to sleep but it's hard when she can hear everything going on.

She doesn't know if Poe has left but she doesn't care either. She just wants to be left alone. Supposedly, it's the only thing her family has obliged to.

"We have to move on with the wedding preparationsand quickly."

She starts weeping softly again. New tears run over the dried ones. Her mind wanders back to her dream of getting away. Maybe now is the time to leave. She can't stay for much longer.

"Very well. I'm sure Rey will change her mind eventually."

Poe hasn't left.

***

Rey has saddled one of the horses from the stable. They have three. Her family won't miss one. Throughout the days, she has been collecting food in secret and only brought along the most necessities: A hairbrush, some clothes, and a little bag with silver coins. It will be a start.

Tonight.

When her father has gone to bed and Rose is asleep, she will leave and never come back.

All-day she is constantly on alert as if her father can read her mind. But when night falls and the house has gone quiet, she sneaks out. Water was the last thing she needed to bring along and now she is ready to leave. Rey climbs on her horse and signals for the animal to move.

A light breeze floats through the air and pushes her hair back. The air is cold and she questions if she's packed enough warm clothes to take with her. It's too late now. She's not going back.

Rey rides off into the starry night. While growing up, she never saw the point in learning how to ride a horse. She learned from a young age that she was going to be married off to some guy she doesn't want and be some miserable housewife whose only job consists of three things: Cook, watch the children and please her husband in the bedroom.

A sudden jolt brings Rey out of her thoughts. The horse stops and neighs agitated and precarious. Rey tugs on the reins and uses soothing sounds to calm the horse. It doesn't work. Whatever frightened the horse made it restless. In the spur of the moment, the horse stands on its back legs and Rey is dropped to the cold ground. The last thing she hears before she's knocked unconscious is the sound of its hoof hitting the ground as it gallops away.

***

"Rey."

Rey doesn't know where she is. Perplexed and a bit uneasy she looks around to take in her surroundings. Her vision is blurred and she blinks to make things appear clearer.

"Rey."

She follows the familiar voice that is calling faintly but softly to her. She knows it's him. But how is that possible?

Rey gasps when she sees him. Awed.

"Kylo."

The prince stands further onward in the expanse of time and space. Rey walks with wary steps toward him—then she speeds up her walk—at last, she runs. A cheeky grin spreads on his lips by the sight of her eagerness. She's partly out of breath when she's caught up to him.

His face falls a bit as he looks down at her.

"Don't leave."

Rey's features turn into a dazed expression not really following what he means. Why would she leave? She just got here.

"But I'm right here."

Prince Kylo grins shaking his head. Silly girl.

"Don't leave Alderaan. Stay. Wait for me."

He raises one hand to caress her cheek softly—the same skin that stung for days after she was hit. He looks longingly into her eyes. Affectionate.

"I'll come back for you. I promise."

Bit by bit prince Kylo slowly dissipates from her. Rey finds herself reaching out for him—a cry for help begging him not to leave her alone but alas, she's grasping into nothingness.

Rey wakes up from the dream. Her head is pounding from the earlier knockout and she hopes she hasn't suffered any severe damages. The two binary suns are almost up and so is her time.