Chapter 2

Back in the ballroom, Rey is anxiously looking around among the people she's currently stuck with for the night. She doesn't know if the Prince will find her and bid her a dance or if she should go looking for him or when it will happen or -... Her mind is a mess as all her thoughts are tumbling back and forth. Feeling dizzy, Rey grabs a hold of the nearest table to steady herself.

"Rey, are you alright?"

Finn comes up to Rey through the crowd noticing her lack of participation. He places a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I'm fine," Rey says forcing a convincing smile. He nods and takes a step away from her.

"Care for a dance?" Rey looks startled at Finn as he extends his hand for her to accept.

"I can't do this," Rey mumbles to herself as she hurriedly walks away leaving a baffled Finn.

Rey spots the entrance and her feet speedily heads for the outside. In theory, there is no rule for when you're supposed to leave but no one ever leaves early. Rey stops by the wide doors while she considers her options. Running away won't solve any of her problems - it will probably only make it worse. What won't the Prince think when he can't find her? Or the question is rather: What will he do?

Rey slowly spins around on her heel as she faces the ballroom once again. No matter how much she wants the night to be over with there is nothing she can do about it.

The night continues smoothly. Rey, being the well-behaved and courteous daughter of Mr Kenobi, greets every single council member and maintains a polite conversation. She dances the night away with various guys asking her to dance including Finn. Prince Kylo and the worries from before is momentarily forgotten as she enjoys herself. By the time she's danced with Finn for the fifth time, she's slightly out of breath.

"My lady."

The smile on her lips instantly vanishes and an expression of uneasiness takes over her beautiful features. Her heart starts beating so fast it feels like it's stuck in her throat. She elegantly spins on her heal to politely greet the prince. Her face is flustered as she is partly embarrassed by being slightly out of breath in front of him.

"Y-Your Majesty." Placing one foot behind the other she makes a small curtsy.

Prince Kylo raises one eyebrow as the corner of his lip tugs a bit upward in amusement. Rey is astounded that he finds enjoyment in her flustered state. He doesn't utter a word as he extends his hand for her to take. Slowly Rey places her small hand on top of his.

The Prince leads them both to the middle of the floor while Rey revels in the warm touch of his hand. He intertwines their fingers while he uses his other hand to hold a firm grip on her waist. Rey places her free hand on his shoulder as he takes the lead. The music is much calmer now as they both swing sweetly to the soft ballad.

"You have quite the admires."

His tone is serious but all the same playful.

"Sorry?"

Rey is taken back not really sure what his intentions are.

"I've watched you tonight. A lot of guys asked you to dance."

Rey's heart skips a beat by his words. She doesn't know how she should feel about the Prince keeping an eye on her.

"They're my friends."

He doesn't seem satisfied with her answer but he lets it pass for now. Rey ignores the stares from the crowd as they try not to be obvious about ogling them. A town's girl dancing with the dark Prince, that's definitely going to make some headlines.

"Tell me, why is a woman of your age not married yet?"

The question isn't odd. Most girls are betrothed or married after the age of eighteen. Being the oldest daughter, Rey was supposed to be married to their neighbour's son but she refused the proposal. Rey doesn't want to be tied down to man. She's not even sure she ever wants to be. The one thing she is certain about is she wants to get away from here.

"I wouldn't let my father choose my future for me."

He nods as if he understands.

The music comes to an end before a new tune starts playing. Prince Kylo lets go of Rey's waist but he takes the hand that's still intertwined with hers and raises it to his lips, letting the kiss linger on her smooth skin before letting go. He walks away from her without another word; her skin feeling cold the places he touched her before.

***

It's the loud banging on the door downstairs that wakes up Rey. She looks across the bedroom to see Rose still sleeping soundlessly. She rubs her tired eyes as she removes her blanket from her body. Being only in her thin nightgown she shivers to some extent as she walks down the stairs. The wood is cold against her bare feet and goosebumps form on her legs.

"General Hux. To what do I owe the honour of your visit?"

Rey lingers on the staircase with one hand on the railing as she curiously watches the scene in front of her. Her father, Mr Kenobi has opened the door to reveal the general from the royal military, a tall, slender, red-headed young man garbed in black. General Hux has always frightened her in one way or another with his cruel demeanour and insensitive behaviour.

"Spare me your politeness and save it for the king. I'm here with a request from Prince Kylo Ren."

Rey straightens her back further upon hearing the mention of the Prince bringing a message to her house. General Hux clears his throat to speak and opens the scroll in his hand.

"Miss Rey Kenobi is invited to dinner tonight at the Black Castle. Prince Kylo will be awaiting her arrival as the two suns have set." The General closes the scroll and looks directly at Rey with a warning in his eyes.

"Don't be late."

Startled in being caught lurking, Rey takes a step back but stubs her foot and falls back on her backside. She winces as she bites her bottom lip from screaming out in pain. Last night felt like a dream but it wasn't.

As the day processes, night time is approaching faster than Rey likes. When the binary suns finally set, she anxiously stands in front of the gates to the Black Castle. As promised Prince Kylo stands patiently waiting for her on the other side. He is just as handsome as she remembers but frighteningly intimidating.

The dinner is awkward with only a minimal amount of small talk. King Snoke is absent and Rey sits alone with the dark Prince. The chandeliers shine brightly above them decorated with pure white crystals in thousands. Rey can't stop glancing at them especially at the one above her. Upon her arrival, she noticed immediately something being off.

She takes a sip of the red wine from her gold cup, the alcohol calming her nerves as she feels a slight buzzing in her head. At some point, she hears a creaking sound as if something is about to happen. The Prince looks up noticing as well. The metal snaps and falls down heading for Rey's head. It all happens so fast.

Rey lifts her hand as a reflex to shield herself while the Prince jumps over the table and knocks Rey over. He falls on top of her as the chandelier crashes a few meters away from them. Prince Kylo looks down at Rey to examine her for any injuries. Rey's cheeks grow flustered as she realizes how close their faces are. Though their position is obscene, the Prince doesn't make any attempts to remove himself from her.

He looks at her as if he wants to say something. Then he looks at the broken chandelier that lies broken on the floor a few meters from where she sat. She moved it.

"You have the force." He speaks with astonishment.

The force is a mysterious energy field created by life that binds the galaxy together. Harnessing the power of the force gives a person the ability to levitate objects, mind control and seeing things before they happen. Usually, it's the royals that are blessed with this power but it happens once in a while some civil person is in possession of it. If someone not of royal blood contains this power, this force, they will be burned at the stake for being believed of possessing witchcraft.

Rey has kept it a secret for years even for her own sister.

"I knew there was something about you."