Forest of the Dead

Shortness is (hopefully) made up for a good chapter! I hope you like it!

***

"Hey, who turned out the lights?" Proper Dave continued as Jessie looked around for a way to leave. "Hey, who turned out the lights?"

There was a flash of light behind them, and a black fingerless-gloved hand grabbed River's wrist. The woman gasped and turned, and so did Jessie. Behind them was a woman a few years older than Jessie, with dark hair and blonde highlight streaks, wearing a dark blue shirt, blue jeans, black knee-high boots, and a black leather jacket, a tan backpack over her shoulder. She smirked. "Did you forget something?" she asked, holding up her wrist.

River beamed at the Vortex Manipulator the woman had strapped around her wrist. "Thank you!" she told her, giving her a hug. She then broke away. "Vashta - "

"Nerada," the other woman interrupted, nodding. "I know." She pulled out a matching squareness gun. "That's why I came prepared." She shot the wall behind them, then nodded at the others. "That way, now," she ordered, and River climbed through instantly. Jessie stared at her, then went through as well. "Move!"

"Hey, who turned out the lights?" Proper Dave asked.

The woman sealed the wall behind them and turned to River. She just folded her arms. "You hung up on me," she accused.

She shrugged. "I was busy," she said briefly.

"Sorry, but . . . who are you?" the Doctor asked.

"Bishop," she answered, holding out a hand. The Doctor shook it warily. "Joan Bishop. I've known River here for a long time."

"How long?" Jessie asked.

Joan looked at her. "Long enough," she answered, turning around. "Come on."

Jessie looked at the Doctor as River and Joan talked up ahead. "Who the hell is she?" she hissed as they walked.

"I've never seen her before in my life," he answered truthfully.

Joan cut a hole in the wall nearby, and she poked her head in, looking around. "This is a clear spot," she said.

"Right," River nodded, climbing in. "In," she told them all. "In, in! Right in the center. In the middle of the light, quickly. Don't let your shadows cross." She looked around. "Doctor?"

"I'm doing it," he replied, starting to scan the floor.

"There's no lights here," River said, looking around. "Sunset's coming. We can't stay long." She looked at the Doctor. "Have you found a live one?"

"Maybe," the Doctor replied. "It's getting harder to tell." He frowned at his sonic screwdriver. "What's wrong with you?" he grumbled, slapping it against his hand.

Joan rolled her eyes. "Oh, move over," she ordered, lightly tapping him with the toe of her boot. She crouched down, unzipping her backpack and pulling out a fresh chicken leg. "Here we go," she muttered, and tossed it into the shadow. Only a bone hit the ground. "Oh, that's a live one," she remarked.

"That's a hot one," River told the others. "Watch your feet," she ordered.

"They won't attack until there's enough of them," the Doctor told them, looking at Joan in surprise as she stood up, completely calm. She was acting like she'd been expecting all of this to take place. How had she known? And was that entire backpack just chicken legs? "But they've got our scent now. They're coming."

Jessie moved over to investigate on her own. She heard River and Joan talking behind her, before River approached her. Jessie frowned when her own sonic sputtered, and she frowned, rapping it on her knee before going back to scanning. "What's wrong with it?" River asked.