Devara

I hear footsteps and soft voices coming from the entrance of the cave as I quickly grab my sword and hid in the shadows. I slowly unsheathed my sword thinking that those goons had found taken Stella and found us. As the footsteps grew closer and the voices were silent, I hid more in the shadows as the fire of a torch was lighting their way.

I jumped out from my hiding spot and went for an attack when a sword blocked my attack and pushed me, but I gained my balance seeing a man in front of Stella. I swung my sword while the man blocked and swung as well. He went to cut my side when I quickly dodged it and kick the man from his stomach causing for him to stumble back. I went for a big swing to finish him off when Stella blocked my way.

"Devara don't!" She shouted causing for me to stop and look at her before towards the man who was behind her. I slowly moved back and sheathed my blade.

"You brought another mouth to feed. Lovely." I said sarcastically before walking away from them towards the spot I was before.

"Devara, this is Geralt. Geralt meet Devara a friend of mine." She introduces both of us as I turned around towards them and crossed my arms.

"A Witcher. Is he planning to murder us too and brought back towards the surface?" I asked and Stella gave me a look.

"No." He replies as I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Come on, Witcher's are like bounty hunters. They have a price and they'll kill or capture anyone with money on their heads." I sneered making Stella glare at me.

"Devara, don't be rude." She scolds causing for me to roll my eyes again and walking towards them as I held my hand out. Stella places the torch on my hand and I turned around walking towards the burned out camp site.

"How long have you two been here?" I heard Geralt ask as I lit the sticks up again to burn before turning around and handing it back to Stella who gladly took it.

"A couple of months. We tried helping as much adventures who came into town. Devara scouts the town while I warn them." Stella explains.

"Who are those humans?" He asked again.

"They're cannibals. If you were thinking about how the town was empty and almost abandoned, it's because those remaining people eat humans. They have a leader who guides them, made them rules, and gave them home. This town lures travelers, adventures, or anyone who walks in. They lure them with the happy and friendly attitude. Kinda like a fly and Venus fly trap." I answered before leaning against a wall.

"Devara was one of those adventures, well, a knight and she went to the tavern like you to stay. I stopped her of course and took her away causing those cannibals to follow us. Luckily, Devara fought some and we both ran together. We found this cave and hid inside. Devara found another way out of course, but it leads to a bear den which she killed the bear easily for food." Stella smiles happily towards me while I shook my head at her.

"If you two can leave that way then why stay here?" Geralt asked and I sighed.

"You ask to much questions. Get some rest Stella. My turn to watch over. You too Witcher." I told them both before walking away into the shadows.

"Sorry about her, that's her usual attitude. She doesn't trust anyone except me, not at first, but she's opening up a little to me." Stella tells him as I listened to their conversation.

"You mentioned that she's a Knight. What kind of Knight?"

"Yeah, she didn't tell me though. Whenever I ask, she'll either change the subject or say it's not important. She doesn't talk much until now, she's different from others. She's not...human." She answered him and I shook my head before moving to the bear den. I watched the entrance and crossed my arms. The wind howls from outside the cave while silence took over.

I heard footsteps from behind me, but I didn't dare to look who it was until the scent of its source came near.

"Can't sleep? You'll need all the energy tomorrow Witcher." I said as I kept my eyes towards the entrance.

"I want to help." He starts and I looked over my shoulder.

"For a price? Sorry, I don't have anything to pay you." I looked towards the entrance again as I hear him hum.

"Hm, I'll help if you tell me who and what you are." He says as I chuckled emotionlessly.

"Sure, after I kill you. I'll gladly tell you who I am." I sarcastically said and turned around to face him. He stared at me blankly before looking away.

"Then answer me this. Why don't you leave this place? Stella told me you could leave whenever, yet you stayed. Why?" He looked at me with curiosity. Our eyes met before I look away from him and towards the entrance of the cave.

"I stayed because...Stella can't leave this place. The King that those cannibals worship is Stella's father. A witch whom is her mother casted a curse to this town that anyone that lives in it cannot leave or they will die instantly. You saw those wolves, you step foot out of those entrance at night then you become their meal. I was sent here to retrieve the witch that casted the spell only..." I stopped myself before turning my gaze towards him.

"Stella is the only person that could help me. We were planning to kill her father and burn this town down until you came along."

"What happens if you kill her father?" He asked me.

"Stella dies with him. She is willing to make a sacrifice to save others." I told him truthfully.

"Why?" He asked again causing for me to roll my eyes.

"You ask too many questions, Witcher." I sighed and turned around fully, but I knew he won't leave till he get the answers he needed.

"The witch casted a spell between them like a bond. If one dies then the other is weak and can be killed." I said softly.

"How do you know all this?" He questions.

"That part is none of your concern. If you want to help us, then leave far away from here. You'll see dead trees if you leave which shows you safest place." I said and I heard him sigh. I hear his footsteps distant as I let out my own sigh.