Chapter Two

New York, 2012, Six months after the invasion

Alex walked down the streets of New York with her hands in her jacket pockets as she pretended to window shop. She could feel the cold metal of the gun that was safely tucked into her pants under her shirt, giving her a small feeling of comfort. The cold air nipped at her exposed face making her nose a little pink.

She noticed the blonde-haired man look around seeming to take in the new world he had entered and she decided this would be as good a time as any. She started walking forward, keeping a close eye on the man. When she got closer, she ducked her head and pretended to accidentally bump shoulders with him. The collision sent her flying to the side from the speed she was going. She was about to land on the ground when a hand grasped her arm, holding her up.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I didn't see you there!" She put on a fake northern accent as she exclaimed her apologies.

"Oh no, it's fine. It's my fault for standing in the middle of the sidewalk like that. Are you okay ma'am?" He helped her stand up fully on her feet but his hand never left her arm.

"I'm fine. Are you okay? I should really look up from time to time," She stated, taking a quick glance at his appearance. He was wearing a dark pair of blue jeans, a tight shirt, and a dark winter jacket.

"I'm fine. It's not your fault, miss."

"How about we split the blame? 50-50?" She tried to bargain.

"50-50." He accepted with a small smile and shake of the head. The smile soon turned to a frown as he noticed Alex shivering. The cold had gotten too much for her light winter jacket, he thought.

"How about I make up for my part of the accident and invite you inside. You look like you're about to freeze." He offered.

"Oh thank you. I don't know if I could make it back to my apartment without becoming a human popsicle." She joked and he gave a small laugh in return.

"You should really get a bigger jacket. You will definitely freeze if you keep wearing that one." Steve suggested as they started walking.

The lies came naturally to her. "I know. I'm not normally up here during the winter so I've never really had much use for a better jacket. I go down south and visit with my mom but she said she had some sort of cold so I decided to stay here until she gets over it."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she gets better." Steve sympathized.

"I do too. Thank you for caring..." she trailed off realizing that he hadn't given his name yet.

"Oh, uh, Steve. Steve Rogers. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier."

"It's fine. Thank you for caring, Steve. My name is Andria."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Andria," Steve said holding out his hand for her to shake. She lightly took his hand and shook it.

"Steve Rogers." She quietly whispered to herself.

"That's my name." He joked back.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound weird, it's just that the name sounds familiar." She pauses to think for a second before exclaiming, "the news! I heard it on the news a couple of months ago."

"Oh yeah." His face seemed to fall at the memories. "After the whole Battle of New York." He couldn't help the small look of grief that flashed through his eyes before they returned to normal.

"Yeah. I'm just lucky that my apartment building wasn't damaged. That would have been a terrible coming home present."

"You were out of town during the fight?" He questioned as they turned the corner.