Chapter Thirty Six

Wakanda, 2018, later that day

"Drop to 2600, heading 0-3-0." Steve instructed to Alex and Sam as they flew the plan.

"I hope you're right about this, Cap. Or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to." Sam stated as Alex clicked a few buttons. She watched as they flew straight towards some tree before passing through a camouflage force field into Wakanda's Golden City's valley. They flew over the city and landed at the airfield outside the palace.

They quickly unbuckled and opened the door to the quinjet to exit with Steve and Natasha leading, followed by Bruce and Rhodey, and Sam, Alex, Bailey, Vision and Wanda slowly taking up the rear.

"Should we bow?" Bruce quietly asked Rhodey.

"Yeah, he's a king." Rhodey seriously answered.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something." Steve spoke as he shook hands with T'Challa.

"What are you doing?" Rhodey asked in mock shock as Bruce awkwardly bowed.

"Uh, we don't do that here." T'Challa stayed as he dismissed Bruce's bow. "So how big of an assault can we expect?"

"Uh, sir, I think you can expect quite a big assault." Bruce informed as he tried to make his way to the front of the group.

"How we looking?" Natasha asked as they continued to walk. Alex slowly made her way up the group so she stood by Natasha.

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and..." T'Challa informed before slowing to a stop.

"A semi-stable, 100-year-old man." Bucky stated with a smile as he walked toward Steve, passing a few guards that were taking Wanda and Vision away. The two friends share a hug.

"How you been, Buck?" Steve asked as they broke away from the hug.

"Uh, not bad, for the end of the world." He responded with a smile. The group started to make there way to a lab that some guards had taken Wanda and Vision.

"So, do you have macaroni here?" Bailey asked as she made her way closer to T'Challa.

"Uh," T'Challa looked at the group confused as Alex pulled Bailey away from the King with her magic. Alex mouthed an apology towards the king before slapping the back of Baileys head.

The group walked in silence the rest of the way towards the lab, most of them taken in the views. Once they made it to the lab they saw Vision lying on a table with a young dark skinned girl standing over him. The girl was using her bracelet to scan the stone in Visions head. She flipped her hand over to study the holographic projection on the stone that hovered in her palm.

"Whoa. The structure is polymorphic." She stated as everyone watched in amazement.

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially." Bruce explained.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?" She questioned like it was the most obvious thing to do. Vision glances at Bruce from the table as if to ask the same thing.

"Because, we didn't think of it." Bruce answered uncertainly.

"I'm sure you did your best." Shuri reassured with a smile.

"Can you do it?" Wanda asked from beside Bruce, her nerves getting the best of her.

"Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures." She explained before turning to her brother. "It will take time, brother."

"How long?" Steve questioned.

"As long as you can give me." She answered before a chime broke through the air.

"Something's entered the atmosphere." The warrior beside T'Challa informed as she glanced at her bracelet.

"Hey, Cap, we got a situation here." Alex heard Sam inform through the ear pieces. She walked towards the window to catch a glimpse of the outside. She watched as the defense shield over the city destroys one of the alien vessels when it slams into the field at full attack acceleration.

"God, I love this place." She heard Bucky mutter.

"Yeah, don't start celebrating yet, guys. We got more incoming outside the dome." Rhodey spoke as more alien ships burned through the sky. The shock waves and debris from the ship landings destroy acres of forest and boil up against the dome. Steve and T'Challa look at each other in concern over the scope of what they'll be facing.

"It's too late. We need to destroy the stone now." Vision states, grunting as he tries to stand up.

"Vision, get your ass back on the table." Natasha demands as she moves towards him.

"We will hold them off." He states as he and his guards make way for the door.

"Alex, Wanda, as soon as the stone's out of his head... you blow it to hell." Steve instructed the two as he moved to leave too.

"We will." Wanda assures as the two women shared a smile.

"Evacuate the city. Engage all defense procedures." He stops, turns, and points at Steve. "And get this man a shield."

"Stay safe." Alex whispered to Natasha as she passed. "You too, Bailey."

"We will." Natasha assured.

"You're not dying I'm me today." Alex spoke to the two as they walked away.

"Would never dream of it." Bailey answered as she glanced back over her shoulder.

Alex walked back over to the window to see carriers taking warriors to the border. Alex watched intently as the slowed to let the warriors off. Steve, Natasha, and T'Challa walked ahead of the group to talk with the two aliens on the other side. They spoke a few words before some of the alien space ships started to rise.

The three Avengers walked back towards their group as the alien ships started letting out more aliens. The aliens creatures started to pound on the barrier as Alex turned back around to face Vision and Shuri. The young scientist was hard at work, not speaking as she concentrated on her task.

"Would you mind," Shuri spoke, looking up at Alex. "Would you use your magic to hold this piece right here?"

"Uh, sure." Alex answered as she moved stand on the other side of Vision. She summoned her magic and gently took the piece that Shuri was speaking about. She continued to do this with multiple pieces as she worked, handing Alex pieces and taking some away.

"They've opened the barrier." Wanda stared in horror as she stared out the window.

"What?" Alex asked as she straightened from her position next to Vision. She strained to glance out the window with out moving the pieces she held with magic.

"They've opened the barrier." Wanda stared again as she turned towards the two.