Chapter Twenty Six

New York, 2015, seconds later

They all watched as Thor was thrown back and the artificial body rose from the Cradle. The body flew at Thor trying to attack him but Thor changed places and threw him to the window. The body stopped just as it reached the window and looked at its reflection. It turned around as a grey suit materialized around it.

"I'm sorry, that was...odd," It apologized before turning to Thor. "Thank you."

"Thor, you helped create this," Steve asked as he pointed to the body. The body took a look at Thor's cape before making its own.

"I've had a vision. A whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life and at its center is that., Thor informs as he points to the gem inside the body's head.

"What, the gem," Bruce asked.

"It's the Mind Stone. It's one of the six Infinity Stones, the greatest power in the universe, unparalleled in its destructive capabilities," Thor explained.

"Then why would you bring it to-" Alex started to question.

"Because Stark is right," Thor said cutting her off.

"Oh, it's definitely the end times," Bruce muttered.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron," Thor said.

"Not alone," It continued.

"Why does your "vision" sound like JARVIS," Steve questioned.

"We reconfigured JARVIS' matrix to create something new," Tony explained as the Vision moved towards him.

"I think I've had my fill of new," Steve stated.

"You think I'm a child of Ultron," Vision spoke.

"You're not," Alex asked from her spot beside Clint.

"I'm not Ultron. I'm not JARVIS. I am...I am," It explained.

"I looked in your head and saw annihilation," The female spoke.

"Look again," Vision challenged.

"Yeah. Her seal of approval means jack to me," Clint stated and Alex nodded along.

"Their powers, the horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone, and they're nothing compared to what it can unleash. But with it on our side-" Thor started.

"Is it? Are you? On our side," Alex asked moving forward.

"I don't think it's that simple," It answered.

"Well, it better get real simple real soon," Clint stated.

"I am on the side of life. Ultron isn't, he will end it all," It explained.

"What's he waiting for," Tony questioned.

"You."

"Where," Bruce asked.

"Sokovia," Clint spoke.

"He's got Nat there too," Alex continued.

"If we're wrong about you, if you're the monster that Ultron made you to be..." Bruce started before stopping.

"What will you do? I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique, and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the earth, so he must be destroyed. Every form he's built, every trace of his presence on the net, we have to act now. And not one of us can do it without the others. Maybe I am a monster. I don't think I'd know if I were one. I'm not what you are, and not what you intended. So there may be no way to make you trust me. But we need to go," It says as it moves over to Thor's hammer. He picks it up and holds it up to him. Everyone watches in shock as Thor hesitates to take the hammer.

"Right. Well done," Thor said as he pats Tony's shoulder before walking out of the room.

"Three minutes. Get what you need," Steve ordered the others before they dispersed. "Alex, help the twins with clothes."

"Yeah," She answered before turning to the twins. "Follow me."

She led the twins to the team's locker room. She showed them where they could find the things they needed before walking over to her locker area. She looked at the white suit that Tony made her before glancing at her old black suit.

"Why can't I see inside your head," The Sokovian girl asked.

"Wanda, maybe you shouldn't-" Pietro tried to stop her.

"What are you hiding," She girl further pressed.

"What I'm hiding is none of your business. I have been through things you can't even start to imagine. You've been in my head once and ruined the barriers I had," Alex spat out with a glare at the girl. She looked at the red leather jacket that she had on, one that Natasha had left in the training room. "You mess up that jacket and you are done with."

*****

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right," Steve said as the team sat on the jet.

Alex followed Thor into the building after he blasted a hole in the wall. She walked through the rubble and follow her mind to Natasha's mind.

"Natasha! Natasha," Alex called putting as she walked down some stairs.

"Alex?" She heard Natasha call out.

"Hey, you alright," Alex asked.

"Yeah," Natasha answered.

"The team's in the city, it's about to light up," Alex filled her in.

"I don't suppose you found a key lying around somewhere," Natasha asked looking past her.

"Uh, not exactly," Alex said before materializing into the cell, grabbing Natasha, and materializing out.

"Never do that again," Natasha muttered as she leaned against the wall.

"Yes, ma'am," Alex answered with a smile.

"So what's our play," Natasha asked as she gathered herself.

"I'm here to get you to safety," Alex answered.

"Job's not finished," Natasha stated.

"You've done plenty. Your fight is over," Alex said looking at the girl with loving eyes.

"What about you," Natasha asked.

"You've had more than enough time to prove yourself a hero. I haven't. People still cower in fear at my name, I don't want that anymore."

"You are a hero. You are to me," Natasha stated as she put her hand on the girl's face.

"We gotta move," Alex stated as the building started to shake. She stopped walking when Natasha grabbed her arm. "Natasha."

"Look." Alex followed the girl's finger that was pointing down a hall. The hallway was slowly getting colder.

Ice was spreading along the wall, getting closer to them. Alex pushed Natasha behind her a put a force field up to stop the ice from reaching them. She steadied herself as ice spikes started piercing the force field. She lowered her hands as a figure appeared.

"Bailey?"