1. The break up

1. The break up

Ellie's POV

*****

I spared no moment to think before throwing him into the pool fully clothed and stood there with a look of satisfaction at my drenched, now ex boyfriend Luke. 

I was completely, and utterly heartbroken, but if there was something I've learned from my family was to never let anyone make a fool out of me and have the last laugh. 

I slammed the bowl on the table and walked out of that party with the little bit of dignity I had left. I would not let anyone see me break. 

*****

Earlier that day

"Come on Ellie, come to the party with me," my best friend Leah persisted, flopping stomach first on to my bed. "I promise you it will be fun, and it will be way better than staying here all sad because Luke had to cancel your date."

I just made that bed. 

"I'm not my brothers Leah, I'm not really the party type, besides, I have never even talked to this guy," I argued. 

My boyfriend Luke and I were supposed to go out to the movies, but about an hour before, he texted me saying that he was sick and that therefore he had to cancel our date. 

"No, you haven't, but he's in a band, how cool is that? Besides, I'll be there to protect you. Please Ellie. I really don't feel like going on my own. Plus, Alexander will be there, and you know how I act around him. Come on, I need you there," she begged, pouting like a sad puppy hoping that she would get to me. 

And to her luck, she did. 

"I will not be wearing heels," I sternly said, pointing a finger at her. 

I did not want to stay locked up in my room all night wishing that Luke wasn't sick so that we could go out. I loved my best friend, and any time spent with her was well spent. 

"You have no idea how much I love you right now Ellie, you're an angel, I swear," Leah squealed before clinging on to me like a monkey on a tree. 

And before I knew it, I found myself at a party I never wanted to be at. 

"There's Alexander, how do I look?" Leah asked, turning to me and fixing her hair.

I grabbed her arms and stopped her from messing up her hair in a rush to 'fix' it. 

"You look great Leah, you will ruin your hair if you keep touching it. Stay calm, he's coming this way," I whispered as soon as I noticed him walking towards us. 

"Hey Leah, Ellie," Alexander greeted as soon as he approached us.

"Hey Alex, how's it going? Are you enjoying yourself? That shirt looks really good on you, is it new? The color really complements your eyes." Leah rambled before I cut her off. 

"What she's trying to say is, would you want to dance with her?" I said, hitting her lightly on the back and pushing her towards him before Leah snapped her head towards me so quickly that I thought it would fall off. 

"Yeah, I'd love to," he smiled at her, offering her his hand and leading her in the middle of the dancing crowd. 

She looked back at me in disbelief and I winked at her, hoping deep inside that she would not blow it. 

I loved Leah like crazy, but when it came to crushes, she did not know how to act. She had been trying to talk to Alexander for weeks, and whenever she got the opportunity to, she always found a way to mess it up.