19. Honey, we have all day

Chapter 19: Honey, we have all day

Ellie's POV

*****

Everyone was looking at me in shock, as I stood there with my fists clenched. I had had enough of hearing them talking about Kyla as if she wasn't only in a room upstairs, and as if she was not a normal kid like everybody else. 

"I'm also Kyla's friend. Your daughter is a sweet person, all she needs is to get out of her shell a little, and I promise you that she will," I said, not wanting to sound too rude, but strong nonetheless. 

Blake's father looked between Blake and I, and then over to Marie, who just stood there silently, tears forming in her eyes. As he looked back towards us, his eyes landed on Blake as they softened slightly and then released a sigh. 

"Blake, I know you love your sister, but I want to be there for her, and I want to protect her. You have your band, and your mom works all day. I don't want her to end up alone." I knew that the reaction to his words was not going to be a good one by Blake, and I found myself getting angry at his words as well. 

"Are you serious?" Blake spat at his father, taking a step forward towards him. "When have you ever cared about a child of yours being alone? You certainly didn't care about me being alone when you left," I could hear his voice break at the last part, and I felt my heart breaking for him as I looked at the guy who had always been so strong, and who had always helped through anything, break right in front of his father. 

"Mom may work a lot, but at least she never abandoned me," Blake ended by saying, making his father stand there in shock. 

"Blake, please, not now," his father said, sounding exasperated. 

"No time is right for you when it comes to talking about it, is it?" Blake challenged. 

I knew that if they were going to keep arguing like that, it would make it much harder for his father to let Kyla stay. We had a better chance at convincing him if he were calm, and that was why I decided to step in. 

Taking a step forward to be in line with Blake, I took his hand in mine, trying to calm him down, before looking straight at his father. 

"Kyla won't be alone, sir. Blake might have his band, but that does not mean that he does not have time for her, and just because Marie works a lot does not mean that she doesn't try to make time to spend with them." Marie looked at me, a soft smile forming on her face.

"Kyla wants to stay here, dad, please don't take her away from me again," Blake begged, his voice sounding much calmer than it had only moments before. 

His father sighed before rubbing his temples. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest as I waited for his answer, and as Blake's hand tightened around mine, I knew that he was too. 

"If I find out that someone hurt Kyla or that she isn't happy here, she's coming straight with me," he said, making my eyes widen in joy. 

"Does that mean she can stay?" Marie asked, the happiness in her voice evident. 

"If that's what she wants," he replied. 

"I promise you that I won't let anyone hurt her," Blake said. "And I know Ellie will too."

I smiled at him and nodded, wanting to confirm what he had just said. People at our school could be cruel, and there was always somebody who tried to pick on someone else, that was normal. Nonetheless, I knew that she would still be happy if we stood by her side, especially after we would introduce her to Dylan and Adam.