11. What you've been missing out

Chapter 11: What you've been missing out

Ellie's POV

*****

As I leaned against the wall outside of school to wait for Blake the next Thursday, I suddenly started overthinking everything. I hadn't told him what I was planning, nor that I wanted to spend time with him. At the time, I had assumed that he would be free, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it was stupid of me to think that he wouldn't have planned anything on the day of his birthday. I wanted to give it a try no matter what. I knew that what I had planned for him was something that would have made him happy, and I simply had to hope that he was free. 

I quickly shot up as I saw him exiting the school, laughing with Adam and Dylan. I didn't want to talk to him in front of them. They would have wanted to tag along if I did, and even if I knew that the afternoon would be more fun with them there, I kind of wanted to do it alone. I wanted it to be my birthday present for Blake. 

"Hey Ellie," Adam said as soon as he noticed me standing there, looking at the three of them. 

"Hey," I said, walking over to them. My heart was beating out of my chest as I tried to talk myself into telling Blake what I wanted to tell him. I feared that he would tell me that he had already made plans, but I wouldn't have known unless I told him about it. "Blake, can I talk to you?"

I smiled as soon as he nodded, bidding goodbye to Adam and Dylan who got into their cars and drove away. 

"Do you have any plans for the rest of the afternoon?" I asked for curtsy, yet hoping he would say no. 

"Ellie Walker, are you asking me on a date?" He jokingly asked, placing his hand on his heart in flattery, making me roll my eyes. "I don't. Why?" He continued with a chuckle as I punched him in the arm lightly.

I let out a sigh of relief upon hearing his answer. I was so worried that he was going to say no, that I had already resigned telling him what I had planned. 

"Because, you told me that you haven't had a normal birthday in a long time, and would you look at that, today's your birthday," I said, making him roll his eyes at my tone of voice. "That's why I'm going to show you everything you've been missing out on ever since you became known."

I didn't miss the enthusiastic smile that made its way on Blake's lips, before it turned into a frown, his gaze shifting to the ground. I raised my eyebrows questioningly, unable to understand how his mood had shifted so quickly. 

"How are we going to do that? I can't even go anywhere without being recognised."

I shook my head at him, a smile playing on my lips as I handed him the paper bag which was clutched in my hands. He couldn't have possibly thought that I hadn't thought about that. I was a planner, and that was why I had planned every single thing, taking care of all of the little details. Blake had done so much for me to help me be a part of the band and to be seen as fitting in, and I wanted to repay him by giving him a day without being known as the lead singer of a band. It was ironic, really. 

"You underestimate me, Wright," I said with a small chuckle as he took out the items we were going to use to disguise ourselves in, a look of amusement on his face.

I got the idea for the disguise when I thought about how nobody had recognised me at the last gig, which was exactly what we wanted. As I kept thinking about it, I realised that the only way that Blake could have had a normal birthday was if no one knew it was him. 

"You surprise me everyday, Stumblebum," he laughed before he nodded towards his car, signalling that he wanted me to get in. "Where are we going?"

"That's for you to decide. I just offered you the disguise. Just drive to a place you've always wanted to go on your birthday."