2. Stumblebum

2. Stumblebum

Ellie's POV

*****

"See, I told you guys she has been here sleeping all day," I heard my sister Lara mumble as soon as my door creeped open. "I did not come here from college to find my sister in a slump."

I heard the door open wider and footsteps approaching me slowly, stopping upon reaching the foot of my bed.

"Ellie honey, how are you feeling?" My sister-in-law Kelsey asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, covering my face with my bed sheets even more.

I didn't know why the break up was effecting me so badly. I was Ellie Walker. People knew me as this feisty, fiery girl. I acted so apathetically during the party, like the break up didn't hurt at all.

But that was far from the truth.

Hearing Luke basically say that he got tired of me hurt me more than anything else ever could. I was fond of him, and I thought he cared for me too. The thought that all of his loving words were all a lie angered me.

I went home from the party soon after, locking the door of my room and crying more than I had ever done before.

Luke was my first boyfriend. He made me happy and was the reason I looked forward for school every day. He made me feel as if I was living in a dream, and after the party it suddenly turned into a nightmare.

"Ellie, you can't stay here forever. You need to get out there and show that loser what he's missing," Lara said, removing the sheets from my face, and grabbing both my arms to try and get me up from the bed.

"And I have an amazing solution for that," my other sister-in-law May said, handing me a flyer.

'Auditions for lead guitarist.

Do you have what it takes to be 'Midnight Flight's new lead guitarist? This could be your chance. Apply now for an amazing opportunity.'

"What is this?" I asked May, staring at the flyer.

May looked at me with a beaming smile, sitting down next to me on the bed.

"My old friend from college manages this band. He sent me the flyer and asked me if I could help him find a new lead guitarist for the band. Auditions are tomorrow," she said.

"What does that have to do with me?" I asked her in confusion.

The only times I played the guitar was when I was alone in my room. It was the only way I could ever blow off some steam. Playing made me feel more alive than anything else in the world.

But I didn't feel that that meant that I could be the lead guitarist for a band.

"Come on Ellie, you're great on the guitar. Any kind of guitar. You'd be amazing for this," my sister said, sitting down on my other side.

"I don't know guys, I've never played in front of anyone else before. How will I be able to be in a band and playing in concerts without choking up?" I asked, handing the flyer back to May and shaking my head, as she gave me a disappointed look.

"Come on Ellie, don't be like Noah. Do you remember how shy he was? Look at him now, following in Ethan's footsteps," May said, her eyes lighting up at the sole mention of her husband.

I sighed, looking between Lara, May, and Kelsey, who were all looking at me with hopeful faces.

I knew they were right. It would have been stupid of me to spend my summer locked up in my room because of a breakup.