6. Push myself

Chapter 6: Push myself

Ellie's POV

*****

One month. James gave me one month to prove to the music producers that I got what it takes to be a part of the band. He gave me one month to convince them that I was an asset in the band, and that I was not going to cause problems with the fans. I had to show them that I was talented enough for it.

I couldn't help the loathing I felt for Jay Hart. He nearly ruined my brother's career and he was then trying to ruin mine as well. Ruin it before it even started.

Needless to say, the boys did not agree with the ultimatum, but me? I was just happy that they were even giving me a chance after the article. Every single producer, be it movie or music, is scared of Jay Hart. They know that if they go against his word, he has the power of ruining their career as well. It made me sick to know that one single person had so much power, and people were oblivious to the tactics he used. I appreciated the fact that I even had an opportunity to make a name for myself, and I was not willing to let it go.

"So if they're not convinced by one month Ellie has to go?" Adam asked James after he told us the deal he made with the producers.

"I'm afraid so, but I also have faith in all of you and I know that you will think of something," James replied before his phone rang and excused himself, walking out of the garage.

I felt my chest squeeze in sadness at that. My dreams were all coming true, and in one month from then I was either going to have to let go of it, or I was going to fulfil it. Hoping for the latter, I wasted no time in chatter and started with rehearsals. I was going to push myself to be the best I could be, and I was certainly not going to wait for an entire month to prove to people that I could be somebody.

That was why I went up to my treehouse every day to rehearse, away from my parents, away from everybody. If I was not rehearsing with the boys, I was rehearsing alone, playing my guitar until my fingers hurt. Nothing mattered to me anymore. The mere thought of having to leave the band, leave the guys, it was unbearable.

I couldn't help the tears which streamed down my eyes as I played the same song for the nth time. I was unable to tell whether they were tears of frustration or tears of sadness, but either way, the feeling and emotion made me play better than I ever had before. I smiled as I played my guitar solo, memories of when I was younger and playing an air guitar every time an amazing guitar solo came on flooded my mind. I was always mesmerised by the instrument, and even if I didn't know there and then that that was what I was going to want to do for the rest of my life, it was already something which was taking a special place in my heart.

It was that same guitar which helped cheer me every time I felt alone and miserable. That same guitar which helped me get through a fight with Leah. That same guitar which helped me get over Luke. It took me a while to realise how I felt about the break up, and up to a couple of days before, my heart clenched whenever I saw him. Whenever I heard him laughing. That was until the day came where my mind was so occupied with important things that I barely spared him a glance when I saw him at school.

Right there and then I knew that music had helped me get over my first break up, and I also knew that no one would ever be able to get me over having to give up on my dreams. Even if just momentarily.

As I played the last strum, I could feel my heart about to explode out of my chest. The exhilarating rush which I always got from playing making me almost weak at the knees. Breathing heavily, I was about to set my guitar down, wanting to relax my throbbing fingers, before I heard someone clapping.