Chapter 26

"I understand why I have to go to the ministry for my apparation license but is there any particular reason that it had to be bloody six thirty in the morning?" Harry struggled to keep up with his father as Severus strode on.

"We've been over this, I have to be back at Hogwarts before classes start. Besides," he turned back to Harry to clasp his shoulder. "You didn't want to take the test just after your birthday so now you have to work around my school schedule. I recognize that it isn't fair but I did explain it to you when you made the choice to wait."

"I know. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, though." They continued on their way to the ministry while a few witches and wizards waited for their morning caffeine to kick in.

They were led into a private testing area where Harry would be taking his test and just barely managed to make it before they heard someone shout his name behind them.

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have an auror here to escort you from the building once we're all done. Now, stand over by this hoop. That's it. I want you to apparate to the large X on the floor on the opposite side of the room. Whenever you're ready, I'd rather not have to fix a splinch this early in the morning." Harry concentrated on the X before remembering the tutoring Severus had given him a few weeks ago.

Remember, just close your eyes and visualize standing exactly where you wish to be. Once you really feel like you're standing there, simply take a step forward and remember to breathe...

Instead of focusing on the spot he was supposed to be apparating to, Harry closed his eyes and imagined himself standing there already. With a deep breath to calm his nerves, he stepped forward into the tightness associated with this particular form of travel.

"Very good, nice form as well. Just a few more then and you'll be out of here in no time."

Master Hatchling, you are bouncing. It does not make for a nice napping spot.

Sorry Nagini. Tom put conscious effort into forcing his leg to sit still while he waited for Harry and Severus to come back from Harry's apparation test. Ever since The Incident he was reluctant to let Harry from the house. I simply worry.

Relax Master Hatchling. New Hatchling will return with the Sassy One soon enough.

You're right, of course. I know I overreact when he leaves. Even for short periods of time. What will I do if he ever decides he wishes to leave me? Nagini raised her head, affronted.

You do not think! Surely, if he wanted to leave you he would have expressed interest in others. But no. He has only ever wished to remain with you. It is no wonder that you have not graced me with Little Ones, you're too blind to see what is clearly devoted to you and only you. Tom was left to mull over what she had said in silence as she laid her head down to rest on his lap once more.

Harry walked into the sitting room once he was returned safely inside the manor door and found Tom sitting on the loveseat by the fire with Nagini curled up around him and seemingly napping. Tom hadn't even had an opportunity to greet him before Nagini's head shot up.

New Hatchling, you have returned! Tell me, have you thought about branching out to be with others or are you in love with Master Hatchling? He has been brooding all morning because he is worried you will want someone other than him. He has failed to listen to my reasoning. Harry turned a bright red and laughed nervously for being put on the spot.

Well of course I don't want to see anyone else like that. And Tom should know this already. Gently nudging Nagini off Tom's lap, he straddled him and gazed into his eyes. Of all the things Tom should know, it's that I love him. Tom smiled brilliantly and pulled him down for a kiss.

Of course I know that. Nagini has simply gotten it into her head that you and I are both against her having Little Ones to help her look after even though I've told her a million times already that she will live for many many more years to see Little Ones.

Ah...well, that might be my fault. Sort of. Tom's eyes went from glaring the snake down to stare at Harry with shock written on his face. You see, I was talking to her a few days ago and we were just talking about the future and I maybe said a few things that she probably construed as us not wanting that at all, ever. What I meant, and what I thought I made clear, was that I didn't want that this moment as I'm still so young myself. She must have taken it as me not wanting it ever.

That's not what I said, you Great Fool! What I said was that Master Hatchling, the Great Fool, has been neglecting the opportunity to provide me with Little Ones as he is too blind to see that the one he has chosen is purely devoted to him and him alone. When are you two going to sit down and actually talk about your future together?

Nagini, there is more to that conversation than you realize-

And just how much more can there be? He is no longer so new, yes? You chose him. He chose you. Is that not enough for you two to talk about your future together? Nagini slithered off the couch and left the room, quietly hissing to herself about needing to find something large and juicy after such a dull conversation.

"Tom? Maybe she's right. After all, when you first came to rescue me I was still underage and had the hardest time even sipping a cup of tea and accepting a handshake. I'm of age now, the ministry has spent over a year in good standing and you don't really have much to do with them anymore. All the people that knew you as Tom Riddle have either passed on or didn't know it was Tom Riddle that became Voldemort. The only thing you'd have to do is glamour your eyes or wear colored contacts in public. Maybe we can start our lives together without having to hide all the time once I take my NEWTs at the ministry. The public is starved for any word of me and are starting to make up some crazy stories. As much as I hate to say it, maybe we should stage Voldemort's death and continue on from there?" Without giving Tom a moment to think, he continued.

"Besides, Ron and Hermione think it's best that I come out of the woodwork. I guess there's a lot of rebellion groups that think the ministry is hiding me and someone has neglected to bring this to my attention. But besides, I'd like to be able to go out with my friends every once in awhile. And I'd like to do it with the person I've fallen for."

Tom brushed his fingers along Harry's cheek before smiling.

"You know, you have some pretty good ideas when you want something bad enough. I think you're right. I think that it is time that I've come out of hiding to spend time with you without worrying about the public's opinions. You do know there will be talk about the age difference?"

"Well, yeah but you look more like your twenties now than anything. That's not that uncommon, an age difference of only a few supposed years."

"And I'm a man, Harry. They will talk and you'll receive backlash for not wanting a woman." Harry just waved his hand.

"Listen, if they still have an issue with me being with you then we'll just have to let them catch us making out or something. The juicy details will override any hateful prejudice. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to do normal things for once? Like going out on a date or going to the cinema or something? I'm tired of missing out on normal things, frankly."

Tom nodded and smiled at him.

"And what of our future? Nagini seems quite keen on us having children, but what are your thoughts?"

"I...well I wouldn't want kids right now but in the future that would be nice."

"And what of other things? Marriage, property, what you'd like to do for a living if anything at all?"

"Well..." he could feel the blush creeping over his skin at a rapid pace. "I'm not opposed to marriage or moving. My vaults are big enough that living for the next several hundred years would be easy, and only easier since my spending habits are so low. I'm sort of a living-in-the-moment sort of person."

"Well that settles it! Now, how are we going to kill Lord Voldemort?"