Chapter:1

It's early August and rodeo season is about to kick off. I live in Joshua, Texas about sixteen miles south of Burleson and 20 miles from Forth Worth.

I made sure my blue and white rodeo pearl snap shirts were clean, crisp and ironed. The owl patches on my left sleeve cuffs were out of the same string that holds them together. I put them and my jeans in my trailer for tonight's rodeo. My brother and cousin graduate this year. I am a junior this year. We still live in the same house that our parents lived in before the accident when my brother was a sophomore and I was in ninth grade.

I went and grabbed my saddle and put it in the tack compartment. The other two ropers on the team ride with me. I do breakaway roping and goat tying occasionally I will team rope if one is sick. Not very often though.

I got my eighteen hand high appendix quarter horse out of his stall and led him to it. The other two were just pulling up as I was securing his shipping gear on. They put their tack in as I was putting my horse in. "Forget something?" Cash asked me as he carried my bridle. "Yes." I answered. I helped load their horses before we got in the truck.

I pulled out of the drive and went towards the arena that all the schools in Johnson county went to. I backed my trailer up and got out after cutting the engine. They got their horses out and tied them to the side before I got my boy out. I am eight inches shorter than my horse. It does make it hard sometimes to mount but I've figured it out quickly.

I tossed my saddle over his back and tightened the girth. I fixed the cinch before putting his bridle on. I swung up onto his back and sat in the saddle. I scratched him before we went off. I usually rode my horse around to let him get exercise.

His long legs need this more than I do. I passed a few of the Burleson riders and their two ropers were already getting ready for the night. I rode over to the arena and we went in. I loped him around and practiced dismounting for the goat tying. I can nail the dismount on the head as long as I keep my feet in the right position. This is usually what I practiced before each. The dirt for my horse. My balance on his side. The distance down. My feet hitting the ground and flipping the goat only to put it on its back and tie three of its legs together.

I could be a trick rider if I wanted to but I choose not to. I remounted and kept going for an hour. The two ropers always spotted me when I was dismount practicing. My trick is to let my foot fall out of the stirrup quickly and run for the spike.

After my last run, I walked Twister around cooling him off. As soon as we got back to the trailer, I took the saddle off and brushed him down. I cleaned him up really good and started braiding part of his tail. I did it to keep it neat and tidy. I cleaned his hooves out and put his boots and wraps on before saddling him back up. First rodeo of the season and I'm going to do my best.

I remounted my horse and got him ready to go. Broncs were up first. Then team roping. When it was time for breakaway roping, I got out there and did my best. "That was Jesse Reed on Total Destruction with a score of 4.372." The announcer called out. I exited the arena and dismounted checking everything. Tie down was going on and then steer wrestling.

I watched from the fence. Twister stood beside me right at the fence. He wants to be out there so bad. I scratched him on his face before goat tying was called. I tightened and double checked everything before mounting up. I backed him up a little before turning him around.

I lead him through the crowd and to the boxes. I backed him in and watched as they changed the goats out. When they were ready, I was too. I let Twister have his head. He shot out of the run and stayed to one side as close to the goat as he could. I jumped off and only had to take two large steps and flip the goat before tying three of its legs together and throw my hands up in the air.

The man judging took a look before he nodded. I had been successful this time. I grabbed my horse and remounted. Twister trotted out and we watched at the fence. The winner was displayed. Twister and I had done it again. I rode him back to the trailer. He spooked suddenly and I slipped off. I hit the dirt and he took off running.

That's the only thing wrong with him. When he spooks he runs and you can not catch him. I got up and brushed myself off before going to try and catch him. A guy had him cornered and roped him. He then pulled him away from the corner and started back towards the arena.

I met them part way. "Thank you for catching him." I said. "No problem. Skittish horses have that reflex." He said as he took his rope off my horse. I led Twister back to my trailer and tied him good to it. I took the saddle off and put it in the tack compartment before switching his bridle for his halter.

I finally put his shipping gear on and patted him. He shook as I gave him one last drink of water. The two ropers came out with their horses and loaded them up. "Told the team we were heading to put the horses up before going to the bonfire." Zeek said. I nodded as Cash got into the truck. "Ready?" He asked. "Yup." I said as we pulled out.