Chapter: 15

I knew it was pointed directly at me. All of the guys looked at me. The girl didn't. Maybe she was guilty of it too. "You two girls need to stop dating them." The coach said. "And if we don't?" I asked. "You will be kicked off the team." He said.

"That's not a valid reason to kick someone off. As long as we are keeping the dating outside of competition then there are no problems." I said. "And what are the team rules for dating?" Aaron asked. "No significant other at practices." Zeek said. "That was one time and it was your fault. I told you the days I could practice. You were too worried about winning." I told him. "I warned you Jess." Dan said.

"It was an unscheduled practice." I said. If we needed to bring a full blown meeting, then bring on the judge and jury. "I'm siding with Jess. When did he say that you two were supposed to practice?" Max asked. "Five minutes before I was supposed to be elsewhere." I told him.

"I'm on her side. If he had said that morning, then it would have been plenty of notice. Or even a few days before. I say she stays on account of inconvenience." He said. "Why so?" The coach asked. "Also she is the only female roper on this team. She leaves, chances are she will move to Burleson or Cleburne schools to rodeo." He said.

Dan glanced at me. "As far as I know, she picked the most convenient night out of the whole week to be date night. Monday's we have team meetings, Tuesday's and Wednesday's are practice days or church Wednesday. Thursday, us rough stock boys have Ranks Unleashed. Friday nights are rodeo nights, and Saturdays sometimes. Sunday's aren't even on the schedule so that's a full week in itself." Dan said. Two other boys glanced at me.

"I'm with her. I may be rough stock, but I do get a date night when I'm with someone. Tuesday's are free for me. She's got the right to date who she wants. Just as long as he's not stealing any ideas." One of them said. "How could he?" I asked. "Great point." The second one said. "He can't. He may not be allowed at practice, but he can't copy or steal ideas, because each calf is different and he's the heeler of his team. He's already got his way of doing it." The second said.

"You boys overreact." The coach said. "Onto bigger news. Zeek and Jesse are the last from Joshua competing for the chance for regionals." He said. "If you two don't make first, then team roping is out. Jesse has been placing first in most of her events. Breakaway is the one we need to worry about the most."

I nodded. "I'll practice on those days we have." I said. "There's a roping pen on Tuesday's for this. I doubt Burleson goes because they have their team meeting." He said. "I'll get practice there." I told him. "Monday too. Meeting is canceled for Monday since we had it today." Coach said.

He handed Zeek and I our forms to fill out. I got mine done before him and paid the fee. Time to get down and dirty before Friday. As soon as the meeting was adjourned I went to take care of my horse. Rose Thorn Ranch was where we boarded our horses. I didn't care what I looked like. As I was brushing my horse next to his stall, a girl with a pitch black horse walked by.

I could have sworn I've seen them somewhere. She's Burleson's barrel racer. "Kady." I called out. She turned and spotted me. "What are you doing here?" She asked. "I board my horse here." I told her as I untied the lead from the loop. I caught up with her. "How's barrels going?" I asked.

"Didn't get to finals." She said as we started walking. "Maybe next year." I said. "Why are you talking to me?" She asked. "Because your the only girl that Cox is friends with." I said. "Ok. Then what am I doing wrong with goat tying?" She asked. "A lot." I told her. "Too much to tell?" She asked. "Yup." I answered.

"How's it going with you and Cox?" She asked. "He doesn't tell us anything except how beautiful and smart you are." I chuckled. "Sounds like Cox. He's been really sweet, never lets me pay for anything, plays the gentleman card every chance he gets, would rather cuddle than do anything else, and has a funny sense of humor." I said.

"You do know him. I'm glad he found someone. Even if you are on a different team." She said. "We may not be if him and Chaz win team roping this weekend." I said. "I'm sitting number one in our district with my goat tying points. Number two with breakaway." "Impressive. Now if only Bullet and I were that high up." She said.

"Would it be bad if I say I want to move to Burleson for my senior year?" I asked. "Not at all. I doubt any of the guys would care." She said. "Especially my boyfriend?" I asked. "Especially him. He would rather be with you than us." She said. I shrugged. "Can't do anything about it." I told her.

"I know." She said. "Maybe we can do something fun Saturday after this whole rodeo thing is over for the fall." I said. "Sounds like a plan." She said. We exchanged numbers before putting our horses in their stalls. "I'll message you Wednesday with some ideas." She said. "Same here." I told her.

We parted ways to our own houses and things to do.