Chapter: 9

Thursday night as I was getting ready for my date with Cox, Zeek called. "Hey we need to practice tonight before the rodeo." "You had to plan it this late." I said. "Any problem?" He asked. "Yes. I've got somewhere I need to be in five minutes." I told him. "Need to cancel." He said. "Too late." I told him right as Cox was knocking. I hung up on him before answering the door.

"Hey Cox." I said answering. "Hey sweetheart. Ready to go?" He asked. I smiled and closed the door behind me with keys and phone in hand. "You look amazing tonight." He said. "Thank you." I said as he opened the door. I got in as Zeek was calling me back. I denied the call.

"Where are we going tonight?" I asked. "Somewhere special." He said. We drove to his house. "How does dinner with my family sound tonight. My parents want to meet you." He said. I nodded. "My roping partner called last minute to practice." I said. "You can still practice. Tell him it will be closer to eight tonight when you can." He said. I smiled.

Then reached across to hug him. Dinner went ok to say the least. Afterwards he dropped me off at home. "Do you want to go watch?" I asked him. "If you want me to." He said. I got dressed quickly before grabbing my roping hoodie. He wanted to take my truck so we went to the ranch in my truck. My roping partner was already there.

"You're horrible at planning." Zeek said. "Your fault." I told him. "Who's that?" He asked. "My date." I told him as I got Twister out. I saddled him up and led him out. Zeek was already waiting on me. I mounted up and warmed my horse up. We ran multiple times just like Tuesday. I finally got frustrated with him like Tuesday.

"Ok. Stop." I told Zeek. "What am I doing?" He asked. "You need to tighten up. You are too loose." I told him. "One more run tonight then we let the horses rest." "Fine whatever." He said. The whole time Cox was standing on the side watching. I called for it and looped the head. Zeek caught the heels and pulled. It was caught. I looked over at Zeek. "Better." I said.

"Can we keep going?" He asked. "Tomorrow before the rodeo." I told him. He nodded. I cooled Twister down and brushed him down. Cox said he was going to wait for me at the truck while I finished. "Shouldn't be dating him." Zeek said. "It's none of your business who I date." I told him.

"Just a warning. I've heard things bout him that you may not like." He said. "I'll take my chances. You know I can handle myself without a man around." I told him. "Alright. Let's just get through the rest of this season. I do not want to hear that he did you wrong or see him at one of our practices again." He said.

"Fine. No rodeo practices after five o'clock on Thursdays." I told him. "Fine with me." He said. I put Twister up and went to my truck. I unlocked it and we went back to my house. We watched a movie on the couch until Dan came in. "You beat it." He said motioning for Cox to leave.

Cox left with a quick goodbye. "You. Do not let him stay past midnight without my ok. Understand?" "Understood. Time slipped away." I said as I went to get a shower. It was a quick one so I could get to bed. I checked my phone one last time seeing a goodnight text. I sent him one back.

When I woke up, I was already ready for the rodeo tonight. I got to school and hung around the team. Aaron came up on the opposite side of the group. The threat has stood all week and he has stayed away from me unless he has to be next to me. Dan kept a close eye on him too.

Cox messaged me right after I moved to the wall. 'Good morning beautiful hope you have a great day! I'll see you at the rodeo tonight.' -C

I smiled at the text. "Uh oh. The lover has texted for the first time today. First of many." Max said. He's the steer wrestler on the team and a sophomore. He's got the dirtiest mind and he's also the most innocent guy on the team. Dan, at the moment is the dirtiest and the least innocent.

"Hey Jess, has he f*cked you yet?" Aaron asked. "You just want to know if I'm still a virgin." I told him. "Someone has to ask." He said. I flipped him off. He chuckled. "Threat still stands a**hole." I told him. Dan smirked. The first bell rang and we were off to class. Zeek and Aaron followed me to our first class.

"You're dating him. Aren't ya?" Zeek asked. "He hasn't asked yet." I replied. "Good. He's worthless anyway." He said. I ignored his comment. "I thought he was gay for his roping partner. Some are." Aaron said. I rolled my eyes and sat down in my seat.

These two think they know it all. By lunch all of the team were talking about me dating a guy from another school. I tuned them out listening to music until Dan took one earbud out. "You paying attention?" He asked. "Nope." I answered.

"Then I guess you don't care that your boy could be trying to one up us in the finals starting next week." He said. "Don't know bout that. Anyone over a certain number of points go to the finals then which ever wins, goes to compete right before thanksgiving to go to districts in the spring." I said. The whole team silenced.

"Yeah his team may have a high shot at beating us by a landslide, but there are certain events we can beat them if we are good enough." I said while they stared at me. I finally gathered my stuff and went to find a quieter place away from them. I needed to clear my head and get it straight.