• Chapter 1 •

Thirteen years later.

It was a stormy day.

Rain soaked his clothes, wind battered his hair and puddles wet his white and blue sneakers.

Lightning pierced the dark clouded afternoon sky as thunder boomed overhead. Raindrops were pouring on Manhattan, making its population shut their doors and hide in their rooms, away from the horrible storm tearing up the damp air.

The black haired boy kept his head down, trudging in the city's sidewalks. He had forgotten his umbrella at home, when he'd went to take a walk, and he'd decided to just accept the fact that his action was ignorant.

Shoving his hands in his jeans' pockets, the fit teenager continued to stare at the concrete ground, trying to ignore the rain seeping into his clothes.

Ugh.

But all of a sudden, breaking the troubling sound of storm, a collision—

Percy stumbled, his head snapping up. His bright sea green eyes sparked up in curiosity and confusion.

An average height boy, about his age stood in front of him, holding his right arm. Pain dimmed his hypnotising brown eyes, and his raven black hair was tousled and soaked. A slight red tint dusted his pale olive cheeks.

Percy didn't realise he was holding his breath until the boy looked straight into his mesmerising sea green eyes. But it wasn't his fault; the young boy was truly breathtaking.

"Oh gods, I-I'm sorry!" he stammered, realising only now that he had bumped into the charming, beautiful boy with gorgeous black hair, dazzling bittersweet brown eyes and soft pouty lips.

Alarm flared through the teenager's eyes, as he quickly formed a fist and circled it once on his chest. Sorry.

He continued making quick panicked gestures. I didn't mean to bump you.

Percy instantly recognised the rushed signs. He pointed with his index finger, then made an 'O' shape with his hand, before slightly levitating his index and middle finger, resembling a the letter 'K'. It's okay.

Looking stunned, the brown-eyed boy's jaw dropped, his eyes widening. Furrowing his brows when asking, he signed. You understand sign language?

With a shy nod, Percy pointed at himself. Then he put his fingers to his temple, quickly before making the sign for 'little'. He finished off by pointing his index fingers and making a rolling motion. I know a little sign language.

The boy looked like he was on top of the world. The rain didn't seem to faze either boy.

My name is Nico di Angelo, he signed, his eyes kept on Percy the whole time. 

Smiling, Percy parted his lips to speak. He held his hand out for the boy to shake."I'm Percy Jackson. Pleased to meet you."

Nico grinned brightly, holding the not-so-stranger's hand, shaking it gently. Since he had clearly heard Percy, the green-eyed boy assumed he was just mute, not deaf.

Which school do you attend? Nico questioned, ignoring the wind buffeting across his face.

The corner of Percy's mouth twitched. "Goode High School." he replied, not taking his eyes off the beautiful wordless Nico di Angelo.

His brown eyes lit up at the words. He made a fist, yet left his thumb and pinky up. He pointed his pinky at Percy and his thumb at himself, moving his hand frontwards and vice versa. Me too!

Smiling, Percy couldn't believe his eyes. He would see this boy every day? But most importantly... how come I've never seen him at school before?

Only then did Percy realise they were still under the rain, soaked from head to toe. "Well, I'm pleased to meet you, Nico di Angelo. But you better go home, with this storm." he said, his voice betraying how much he still wanted to talk to him. "Er... I'll see you soon?"

The glint of mischief in Nico's brown eyes dimmed the slightest, but his smile shook it off. Beaming brightly at Percy, Nico's cheeks slightly reddened. Alright, he signed. Immediately after, he rushed off down the sidewalk, the road opposite from Percy's direction.

Sighing, Percy wore a lopsided smile. He picked up a faster pace as he walked on the wet, empty streets.

His idea of taking a stroll when the clouds were dark didn't seem so bad anymore. He had met Nico di Angelo.

He was such a peculiar boy. His dark brown eyes were filled with so much sorrow and pain, yet his smile was worth the world. Nico looked so easygoing, yet stubborn as well.

A small smile tugged on the green-eyed boy's lips. He was so glad he had learnt American Sign Language when he was younger.

Before he knew it, Percy arrived in front of his house. He took out his keys from his back pocket and put them in the door lock. Twisting it open, he pushed the large door door.

Quickly, his lungs were filled with the delicious taste of blue chocolate chip cookies, his mother's speciality. Getting into the kitchen, Percy noticed Sally Jackson standing over the oven, taking out her freshly baked goodies.

"Hey, Mom!" Percy greeted her. Turning around to face him, his mother's frown deepened with stress.

"Oh my— honey! I was getting worried, with all that rain outside. Who said you could go out by yourself without an umbrella? You're completely soaked!" she fussed over him, patting his soaked grey shirt. "I just washed that one!" she exclaimed, worry filling her voice.

Sighing and rolling his eyes halfheartedly, Percy knew his mother was only acting so angry because she was worried about him. Things worse than going out in the storm had happened to him.

"Go take a shower!" Sally ordered, hugging his son in relief. Giving her sad eyes, Percy imitated a fake sad tone. "But... I can't get a cookie first?"

A smirk appeared on his mother's face. "Nope!" she said in a sing-song voice.

Percy smiled as well, casting one last glance at the blue cookies sitting on the table before climbing up the flight of stairs to the bathroom.

Taking a quick shower, Percy changed into newly washed, fresh clothes.

Quickly afterwards, he ran back down in the kitchen, his stomach growling in need. At the sight of her son, Sally Jackson beamed. "Did anything good happen during your very wet stroll?" she teased him, mirth soothing her tone.

The green-eyed boy smirked. "Yes, actually." he said nonchalantly, getting a seat. Reaching for a warm blue chocolate chip cookie, he raised his eyes at his mother.

She looked slightly surprised. "What happened?" she inquired, getting one of her blue cookies as well.

"I met a boy who was mute... I got to talk to him!" Percy exclaimed a little too cheerfully.

At the sound of the news, Sally Jackson smiled from ear to ear. "That's great!" she replied, sharing a knowing look with her son.

Percy had learned ASL due to being friends with Annabeth. The beautiful blonde had a cousin named Magnus who was friends with a deaf man. Wanting to understand his gestures, he had learnt sign language.

He had never known, and would have never guessed, he would use the precious knowledge for someone like Nico di Angelo.

Smiling internally at the thought, Percy raised his eyes back at his mother. She just smirked down at him and pushed the cookie tray closer to him.

With a grin, Percy reached out for more of the delicious bakeries.

Taking a bite, he wondered.

Would he see Nico at school tomorrow?

∆ ∆ ∆

hey guys uhh

i'm sorry this chapter took me so damn long to write :(

anyways... here!

header by @avnakin on tumblr

-drakonator