• Chapter 5 •

Time seemed to slow down.

It went from an allegro to a lento real quick, and Percy didn't exactly enjoy the silence that was holding him and Nico together.

The brown-eyed boy stared at him blankly for what seemed like centuries, but probably was only a few seconds. His eyebrows arched in surprise. The corner of his mouth twitched, as if they had just shared an inside joke. His lips were parted slightly.

Oh gods— his lips. Percy couldn't stop staring at them. He had marvelled at how sometimes Nico mouthed along to his graceful signs, and since he had noticed he couldn't get enough of those lips.

They looked so soft, yet so pouty. They matched his protruding eyes so perfectly.

Snapped away from his thoughts when those mesmerising lips spread into a smile, Percy's heart skipped a beat. Did he think his question was a joke? Percy knew he should have never asked it.

I would love to, Nico signed, his eyes twinkling with satisfaction.

Percy didn't know exactly why.

But that didn't matter right now— the strident sound of the bell ringing interrupted their conversation.

Nico smiled sheepishly at him and dived inside the classroom— which door was now open.

Following close at his heels, Percy dipped his head in greeting to his Latin teacher, Mr. Brunner. His eyes sparked, as if he had just seen something Percy hadn't.

His eyebrows furrowing, Percy sat at his usual desk, his skin tingling with anticipation. He would be hanging out with Nico this afternoon!

*   *   *

"Percy?"

The green-eyed boy sighed gratefully. His mother had actually picked up, and on the first try!

Even though her voice was distant and ragged due to the bad connection, Percy was so glad to hear her voice. "Mom, I just called you because I'll be hanging out with a friend... I'm allowed right?"

He heard soft laughter coming from the other side of the line. Percy could practically hear Sally Jackson smiling. "Of course, dear. Come back for dinner, will you? Stay safe!"

And with that, she hung up.

Sighing, Percy leaned back on the school gate, patiently waiting for Nico to arrive. They had planned to meet there, after all.

But now that the time had actually come, he couldn't stop his hands from fidgeting. Sliding his phone back in his backpack, Percy scanned his vicinity, trying to catch a glimpse of the certain black-haired boy he was waiting for.

A part of him wished he wouldn't come. Percy had no idea where to take them— he just wanted to spend some time with him.

Finally, a petite figure ran towards him, waving his arm for attention. His other hand was clutching his black bag slung over his shoulder.

"Nico!" Percy exclaimed. And, in fact, it was Nico di Angelo approaching him.

His black feathery hair was ruffled by the strong wind, resembling a raven spreading it's wings. The twinkles in his hypnotising brown eyes seemed brighter, or maybe it was just Percy imagining it.

When he had reached him, Nico exhaled breathlessly. It was smooth and regular, despite his recent physical effort. Where are we going? Nico signed, his gestures sloppy.

Biting his lower lip, Percy averted his gaze from those beautiful eyes. He was scared that if he met them again, he would fall in a second time, dragged in by those bittersweet irises.