• Chapter 10 •

As soon as he heard the door close, Nico could feel the vibrations of the ground telling him his sister was coming up the stairs.

Crap, he thought, remembering who's arms had embraced him in his slumber a few moments earlier. He hugged his arms, trying to repress his shivers. What had his beloved sibling witnessed?

The longer he lingered sitting on his bedsheets, the more distinctively he could hear Bianca's whispers.

They echoed on the walls, going faster at every second.

Nico shut his eyes tightly as he heard his door creak open. "Nico?"

Her voice was soothing yet reproaching. He had never wished more to be alone in the world. He didn't want to face anyone right now. Especially not family.

But he couldn't keep secrets to himself. He had to share his feelings. Because all of his remorse, his regrets and resentment has been balling up in him after those few weeks of knowing Percy, and he had to let it all out.

Just not today.

"Nico?" Bianca repeated, her tone firmer.

Turning around to face her,  Nico di Angelo slid his legs off his bed, raising his gaze to meet hers.

What is it?  he signed, unsure how to feel right now. He brought out his open hands in and out in front of him for "What?"

Bianca sighed. "Do you know how much you time you spend with him?"

At first, blood flashed to Nico's cheeks, reddening his face. He couldn't say his mind wasn't always on Percy, because himself knew it wasn't true.

But all of a sudden, Nico felt a rush of anger pulsing his veins. How could Bianca say that? After all they've did together!

Bianca didn't know how much Nico's been through when she was hanging out with her group of girl friends. First off, they resented Nico for a reason he didn't know, and they stole his sister from him. How could Bianca be angry at him for finally having a friend when it was a piece of cake for her to not be with her younger brother?

The dark-haired girl must have noticed Nico's quick change of emotions by his sour expression, because she let down her guard. "I didn't mean it like that, Nico. You know that." she said, trying to calm down her hot-tempered sibling.

The black-haired boy let out a frustrated growl. Can you get to the point? he signed, clearly unbeknownst to what he was about to hear.

"I have a feeling you guys aren't just friends."

Nico clutched his heart with a shocked look written all over his face.

His blush rising, he felt like protesting, but wouldn't that be lying?

Because inside, he had a feeling that what she was saying was utterly true. Chewing his lip, Nico averted his gaze. Before he knew it, tears were streaming down his perfectly cupped face.

His cheeks soaked, he looked back at his sister Bianca who had confusion written all over her face.

Her chest was getting heavy with guilt, yet her eyes still glinted with shock. Who would have known a simple remark would have reduced her brother to tears?

"I— Nico, I'm sorry... I-I'll leave." she stammered, her eyes glazed as well.

She ran out of the room, her vision starting to cloud with the tears she was holding back with all her will. Bianca spluttered and sobbed so loudly Nico could still hear her from upstairs.

He instantly regretted those tears. He should have let Bianca go happily skipping away, not crying.

Nico was almost tempted to go run after her, but knowing his sister, didn't. If she went away deliberately, it was best not to disturb her.

Suddenly angry, he aggressively wiped his tears away, his breath hitching with every movement. Stupid emotions, he thought. Stupid me.

Why can't I just be a normal teenager that doesn't break down? Nico told himself, Why can't I just be a normal teenager who can have the courage and facilities to speak?

He bit back more angry remarks about himself. He had promised himself all those years ago to not bring himself down anymore.

But despite empty promises, Nico still knew the truth. The brown-eyed boy didn't want to believe himself though— it hurt so much.

Nico shut off his lights.

He lay back down on his bed, not wanting further contact. He had skipped dinner, but it barely mattered. His mind was constantly drifting to other subjects, especially one he had distanced himself from for way too long. 

Lulled by the soft murmuring of the night, Nico fell asleep, his bed bathed in moonlight with tears still streaking the milky white of his angelic face.

*   *   *

For days Nico hasn't communicated with Bianca. Not a single word from either of them.

They have only shared sad looks, and each time their eyes met, Nico felt his chest weighing down under the pressure of the guilt. His sister's black eyes had lost their gleam. The soft light that once illuminated his life has dimmed to almost nothing. The gaze she gave him was full of sorrow and apologies.

They had never had such an argument. At school, they still huddled together like nothing ever happened between them, but inside their flowers wilted.

But with Percy, things went different. On Monday, they shared a knowing look as Percy smiled. As his insides melted, Nico came to realise he was his second sun. Everyday he woke up, hoping to see him.

"How are you doing?" the green-eyed boy asked on Tuesday morning, flashing Nico another breathtaking grin. I'm good, Nico lied, returning his passionate beam. Percy's cheeks flushed slightly as he lowered his eyelids slightly, making his black eyelashes seem longer.

Suddenly, Nico remembered why he came to see him. Can you come Friday?

For some reason, Percy seemed hesitant. But he quickly agreed by enthusiastically nodding to show his deemed approval. "I finish later this week, though. But I— it won't be a problem. I know the way to your house. I bet I could go with my eyes closed."

That made Nico laugh. It was a clean, hollow-less laugh. It was the most wholehearted chuckle he had uttered since Sunday. Percy must have noticed it too, since he grinned widely.

"Feeling better?" he asked, knowing that his friend's feelings have dampen lately. Nico smiled as well. Yeah, he signed, making his fist nod in front of him. "I like it better when you're happy." Percy murmured, only for the brown-eyed teenager to hear.

Nico stood straight, regaining his composure. He was going to make things better. Not being with Bianca was killing him softly. Nico could finally agree with one thing. And Percy was the living proof. 

Thanks, Nico signed, and he meant it. The gesture for the kind word was a toning-down blowing an air kiss, which he meant as well.

Percy just winked in return, which warmed Nico's heart a few more degrees. As they walked side by side to class, Percy brushed his fingertips against the black-haired boy's.

Nico blushed slightly as he smiled, holding Percy's emerald gaze.

Percy returned the smile as the bell rang, but the sound was a whisper against the sound of Nico's heart hammering against his chest.

∆   ∆   ∆

aye so january 2020 really freaked me (and i guess everyone else) out, especially the coronavirus.

so yeah, life is kind of crap right now.

i hope you have a great day/night though, wherever u are!

-drakonator