• Chapter 7 •

It was Sunday.

The storm had rent many trees, the lightning had illuminated the night sky every brief second, and Percy was unable to fall asleep. Droplets of heavy rain had pounded on his glass window during the darkest hour, and the sound of the clouds' teardrops hitting the asphalt absolutely destroyed his ability to sleep. The strident cacophony made it impossible to fall into a deep slumber.

Percy woke up with his hair sticking up in every direction, his eyes underlined with half-moons of dark skin and his lips bleak of colour. The only good thing that he could think about was that the rain had came to a halt during the early morning, and the newborn sunshine flooded the streets with its light and warmth.

Sitting upright in his bed, Percy reverently rubbed his fingers along the quilt mattress. He pressed his elbows to the cool, cotton pillows, relishing how comfortable it felt. The comforter was thick and irresistibly soft, like a billowing cloud. Coming to his senses, Percy didn't want to get out of his bed, despite the way his stomach rumbled hungrily and his dried mouth begged for water.

With swift movements, Percy propped himself up on his weary feet and carried himself downstairs, rubbing his nimble fingers against his tired eyes.

Entering the kitchen, he noticed the paper note sitting on the table, pleading to be read. Percy picked it up between his thumb and index finger and brought it closer to his face. He read the words carefully and let the message sink in. His mother's beautiful cursive inked through the thin paper.

Make yourself some breakfast, there's milk and cereal for you.

I'm at the park with Estelle, and your father is at work. We're probably coming back for lunch!

You should do something, with this delightful weather!

XX,

Mom

A small smile tugged at Percy's mouth as his lips curled into a beam.

Preparing his sugar-packed breakfast, he slipped his phone out of his pocket smoothly and held it in his left hand as he dug in his cereal. The first thought that generated in his mind was a certain brown-eyed boy he hadn't seen for what seemed like months.

He hadn't been able to meet up with him the day before due to the rain and how busy he was with homework. But now that he was done with his schoolwork, he could spend the day any way he wanted. More specifically, he hoped, with Nico di Angelo.

*   *   *

There was a soft rapping at the door, and Percy opened it wide, revealing Sally Jackson and Estelle Blofis. His sister was bouncing in her mother's arms and both of them were grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey, Mom!" Percy greeted, before holding out his index finger to his younger sister to play with. 

Sally's warm kaleidoscope eyes pooled into his, and he smiled in return. "Could you babysit your sister for today? Your father and I have a night out with our college friends. Estelle already ate, by the way. We stopped by a brunch restaurant." she asked, despite Percy knowing it was more of an order.

"Don't get drunk, that's all I'm asking for." he replied, his voice oozing with mirth. That pulled a laugh out of his mother. The crystal clear sound resonated across the walls. She winked and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll be out, then."

Closing the door behind her, Percy heard his mother's footsteps echoing away. He gathered Estelle in his arms and tried his best not to make her burst into tears. "Are you tired?" he asked, cradling her round head in his hands.