• Chapter 21 •

"I love you."

"I love you too."

They were the words Percy woke up with on his lips, but the only thing on his mind was Nico, because since yesterday, it was the only thing he thought about.

He couldn't think of any day as perfect as that one, apart from the day he met him on that stormy evening. That felt like so long ago, now. As he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, he thought back of yesterday, and how Nico's lips felt on his, and how perfect it was.

Sitting up, Percy smiled, remembering how hard his heart was beating in his chest, sounding like a bass drum in his throat, and how he was internally praying Nico didn't hear. But he grinned like an idiot as he thought about how he had finally kissed those lips, the ones he had lost himself in a long time ago, and how he had found himself back there only a few hours ago.

It was Sunday, and the sun was shining through the open windows, cradling Percy's body as he put on clothes and dressed himself before walking down the stairs, each step carefully calculated because he was desperately trying to focus and not fall because he was thinking about him. Since it was all about him now.

When he reached the kitchen, he found his parents smiling up at him, and Percy felt a flush of embarrassment tint his cheeks red as he recalled how he had ran into the house yesterday feeling alive again, shouting at what felt the top of his lungs about the way he was just so happy and in love.

"So... are you feeling okay, honey?" Sally Jackson inquired, a knowing smile sparking up her thin lips, sharing a look with her son. Percy bit the inside of his mouth nervously. Yesterday, after their heartfelt bonding moment, they had shared phone numbers and followed each other on social media, but still, he had received no notification except a like on his recent since then. "I'm sure he'll call you, love." his mother reassured him as she noticed his stressed demeanor.

"I guess, yeah." Percy admitted sheepishly, smiling against his will. "I just... I can't believe he likes me back and that... he can talk again, you know? I'm so proud of him."

"It's rare, darling. Take care of him." his mother advised him. She then burst into tears. "I can't believe it... my son's all grown up!"

Percy's stepdad jumped in, putting an arm around her shoulders. "I know. It's okay, sweetheart."

Suddenly feeling very small yet very noticeable, Percy hunched his shoulders and flashed his mother a sheepish look. "I can't believe it either, Mom."

And it was true. After all these days, the green-eyed boy couldn't come with the fact that Nico was, in fact, in love with him. And most importantly, not mute anymore.

When he had said those words, Percy couldn't stop the awestruck, flabbergasted expression. But inside, he was screaming about how his voice fitted his personality and physique so much. He didn't know it was possible. But he couldn't be more grateful.

The way his name rolled of Nico's tongue with such ease, it felt like they were made to be together. His voice had been slightly rusty, but Percy didn't want to find out how ugly his voice would be after he had stopped using it for a decade or so. Yet it didn't really matter how many flaws Nico's voice held, because to him, it was the most beautiful thing ever.

When you see a rose, your brain automatically registers it as something pretty. But the way the body works is another type of beautiful. Percy felt like Nico had his own version of flawless.

He smiled at the thought, not being able to block out just how smitten he was.

But it was okay, because the person he was smitten with deserved all the love in the world.