• Chapter 3 •

It was Monday.

Which meant... Percy Jackson was going to see Nico di Angelo again.

Sweat was beading on his forehead. His hands were clammy. Percy's whole body felt a degree higher, his clothes suddenly feeling a little too tight, and his skin too warm. He was unsure of what was happening, but from what he knew, something wasn't quite right.

There was nothing wrong either— but Percy felt like his whole aspect of life has flipped over utterly. It was a change he wasn't ready for, but he didn't know what the change was yet.

When Percy Jackson closed the car door behind him as he stepped out of the vehicle, Sally Jackson flashed him a bright smile, which seemed to lift off all the burdens that made his shoulders heavy. The green-eyed boy waved at her to signal his goodbyes. What seemed slightly funny to him was how, unsurprisingly, hand waving was the universal sign language for a simple 'bye'.

Marching in the tall school's gates, Percy felt himself growing nervous. He fidgeted with his hands, worrying about the little things he had never worried about before. A million questions ran freely in his mind.

With anxious glances, Percy passed into the actual Goode High School building. The halls were less crowded than usual, for two reasons. Everybody skipped class on Mondays because they sucked, and it was still early. Checking the clock, Percy realised school had only opened fifteen minutes ago.

Why am I being so careful? Why am I so stressed?

Percy Jackson wasn't only unsettled by his thoughts— but also by his appearance. Trudging through the empty hallways, he looked down at his beat-up high top sneakers. He kept asking himself if he should have worn new shoes, or at least chose another colour than navy blue.

The black-haired boy then felt uncomfortable with his black denim. Are skinny jeans too 'girly'? Percy usually wasn't one to use gender roles, but for some reason, today, he felt like he had to change everything about himself.

What about his dark blue Nike hoodie? Was it throwing off gangster vibes? Percy hoped not, because he didn't want to scare off anyone— Nico especially.

Yet Percy was jolt out of his thoughts as an imposing voice was addressed to him. "Hey! Earth to Percy!" 

Snapping his head up, Percy found himself face-to-face with none other than Annabeth Chase.

Her honey blonde hair was tied back in a loose, high ponytail, though a few stray strands found themselves falling gracefully around her noble-looking face. She did it with curls today— beautiful golden locks falling onto her shoulders, just slightly brushing against her sharp jawline. The stormy eyes were as piercing as usual. They always seemed deep in concentration, like she was constantly setting herself on a target. Black and white wisps of colour made her irises look even more hypnotising, her long black fluttering eyelashes circling her eyes. Her California tan looked darker, like if she had went out on the beach during the weekend. It was unlikely with the storm they had gotten.

Annabeth was wearing a white wool sweater that covered only one of her shoulders. The bold black words 'FLOW' were written onto the front of the already pretty top. Strings of silver also seemed to be stitched in the fabric. The blonde was wearing her usual faded blue jeans, that matched pretty well the rest of her outfit— especially her unnerving eyes.

"...Hey, Wise Girl."

"Seaweed Brain" she acknowledged him. The grey-eyed teenager smirked. Only then did Percy realise a slender figure behind the tall blonde. Piper appeared into view, dressed in her usual outfit, accessorised with a blue feather in her choppy brown hair, tied into a simple braid.

Sliding an arm around her girlfriend's waist, Piper leaned against Annabeth. The taller teenager kissed the top of her head, smiling into it.

Percy Jackson cooed internally. That was his usual reaction. His two friends seemed to be perfect for each other. But this time, watching them, Percy felt slightly hollowed out. Not completely empty— just missing something.

Like he had skipped a chapter in the book he was reading.

Then, suddenly, the green-eyed boy felt a sharp poke on the back of his shoulder. So lost in his own thoughts, Percy hadn't even realised somebody had walked up straight behind him.

Turning around, he had forgotten how to breathe.

Nico di Angelo stood before him, in all his serenity.

His angelic face was dusted with a slight red tint. The wicked glint in his alluring brown eyes seemed brighter than usual, or maybe that was just Percy's mind playing tricks on him. Raven black bangs fell onto the boy's forehead, but Nico brushed it out of the way, flashing Percy a lopsided grin during the process.

Hello, Nico signed. Percy smiled back unsurely, his heart hammering against his chest. He had wanted all along to see Nico again, he had to admit it. Yet now that he was in front of him, what was he supposed to do?

So, hoarsely, the green-eyed boy greeted him back.

Percy fought back the urge to ask him a million questions. He really wanted to though— thousands of words, just for Nico.

"Who's your friend?" Piper asked, tilting her head to one side as she usually does when she's confused. Her green and blue eyes swirled like a kaleidoscope, sparking up in curiosity and interest.

Percy smiled from being called his friend. "He's Nico di Angelo. Er, he speaks in sign language." he spluttered, as if the information wasn't obvious enough. He mentally facepalmed.

"Sign language, eh?" Annabeth spoke up, which startled Percy since she had been quiet for quite a time. Knowing ASL as well from her cousin and his friends, she signed, How are you?

Nico's eyes sparked up with a gleam of happiness. The green-eyed boy guessed it was because he didn't expect people to know and understand the way he communicated daily. From the look on his face, Percy guessed Nico felt exhilarated.

I'm fine, he signed, which was putting your thumb on your chest while your hand had all five fingers opened.

The corner of the blonde's lips elevated into the start of the smile, which Piper blushed at. Despite her not understanding ASL, seeing her girlfriend use it was something you couldn't forget. Smiling himself, Percy turned to Nico.

He craved something, deep inside of him. He wasn't quite sure of what, exactly, but he knew it had something to do with Nico di Angelo.

After all, it wasn't a secret to him that he had spent the whole night overthinking with his heart about a certain black-haired boy.

A feeling nagged at his sternum. Percy blinked twice, then met Nico's brown gaze. "What do you have first period?" he inquired, hope swelling his chest.

Nico blinked apologetically at him, signing, Latin.

Breaking into a grin, Percy couldn't help feeling slightly guilty as well. How come he had never realised Nico di Angelo had the same classes as him? Despite the beam on Nico's face, Percy knew he was thinking the same thing.

It warmed his heart to see how deeply he cared about him as well.

Something else warmed him to the core though.

The feeling was strange yet satisfying. In all words, it was lovely. It had it's own life, dancing in the rain. The emotion was unknown to him. Yet Percy knew he will soon have to meet it...

...Meet what made him different.

∆   ∆   ∆

uh hey

i just want to thank my previous readers to have been following me all alone, especially nico_da_man_jello cuz they're just the best ;-;

also, should i make my chapters longer?

have a nice day!

-drakonator