Chapter 3

It was a warm day which was a nice change from the gloomy rain that plagued the city as of late.

I strutted down the sidewalk my bright pink pumps clicking loudly against the pavement. I felt really good today for some reason. I was wearing an adorable little dress Cilly made. It flared towards the end stopping right above the knee. It was also super light which was perfect for the weather.

I admired my nails. Freshly done acrylics were always a good feeling. I decided I needed a self-care day. I had been working hard after the company's most recent celebrity scandal and this break is much needed.

I was waiting at a crosswalk when the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. A chill ran down my spine as I felt eyes watching me.

I turned around scanning my immediate area. Despite a few people at the crosswalk no one was around at least no one was around that had any interest in me.

"What the hell?" I wondered aloud

The feeling was still there even as I looked around.

I adjusted my dress and made my way across the street relieved the signal had changed.

I was cursing everything for forcing me to park far off, the feeling not leaving my neck.

I picked up the pace my heels clicking violently against the pavement. I noticed the strangely empty street which did not help the situation at all. It was mid-day on a Saturday where was everyone?

I rounded the corner slamming into someone. I managed not to fall teetering slightly on my heels.

"I am so sorry! I was not paying attention at all!" I exclaimed instinctively grabbing onto the person in front of me.

When I looked up at their face I was shocked to find Scott Carrington standing before me.

"It's okay! Venus right?" He asked

"Yeah, Venus yes that is my name," I said dumbly

I was honestly surprised he even remembered my name. I was not someone Scott Carrington would bother to remember.

"It's Scott Remember?" He asked

As if I needed a damn reminder.

"Yeah, Scott hi how are you?" I asked

"I am great just out running some errands, you?" He asked politely

"I am okay just trying to get to my car," I answered

There was a beat of silence before I moved to walk around him.

"I best get going don't wanna keep you," I said

"Wait!" He called

I froze staring up at him

"Yes," I asked

"I was just going to meet some friends for lunch. Did you want to come ?" He asked

"Oh I don't want to impose," I said waving him off

"You won't. I would love to have you," He said insistently.

I hesitated staring up at his expression. It was riddled with such sincerity I could not find it in me to refuse. I slowly nodded my head. "Sure why not," I said

He smiled his beautiful face lighting up.

"Okay we are meeting at the restaurant just across the way," He revealed

We crossed the crosswalk and approached a fancy Brazilian steakhouse.

Inside the lights were dim and the atmosphere was a bit noisy.

Servers running from table to table cutting meats and taking orders.

Scott led us to a table in the back Gabriel and Christopher were already seated with two women.

As I got closer I realized they were the two women from the other night, the sisters if I remembered correctly. I was silently thankful. I knew I had no right to these men, but I couldn't help feeling a little disheartened when I noticed the stunning women.

"Hey, guys look who I ran into?" Scott called as we approached the table

Having those eyes on me again was a bit discerning but I smiled and said my hellos.

"Oh, Venus I am so glad you are here we didn't get a chance to meet." Said one of the women

Her smile shined in the dim restaurant. She was lovely a small slender face and bright blonde hair. Her eyes were a piercing blue that honestly looked fake.

" I am Celeste and this is Ariana." She introduced

Looking at Ariana deeply tanned skin and bright green eyes greeted me. They seemed friendly enough.

I shook each of their hands and sat in the seat Scott offered for me, which happened to be right between him and Gabriel.

The waitress came to the table poised to take our orders.

As everyone started their orders I was still deciding what I wanted.

"I will have the Moqueca and so will she," Gabriel said pointing at me

I was surprised as Gabriel plucked the menu from my hands and gave it back to the waitress.

Before I could say anything he spoke.

"I figured you wouldn't be able to figure out what you wanted. I just ordered my favorite thing here you will love it." He said simply

I nodded quietly.

I have never had a man order for me especially one I wasn't dating. Life brings new experiences.

"So Venus what brings you out and about today?" Ariana asked leaning over and staring right at me

"Oh uh well I was just running some errands before I met with Korey," I answered taking a sip of my water

"Korey right your bestie. She is the talk of the town isn't she." Celeste added

"I suppose so..."

I started slightly confused

"Well in our little circle, Korey is always a topic of conversation. Her wedding was everywhere since it happened." Ariana continued

"Yes, well Korey put a lot of blood sweat, and tears into it. It couldn't be anything less than perfect." I revealed

"And it was as far as I could see. It is such a shame we were out of the country then. I would have loved to have witnessed the event of the summer." Ariana said

The rest of lunch consisted of Ariana, Christopher, and Celeste talking with me and Scott and Gabriel whispering right above my head.

I stiffened every time I felt either of them lean in to listen to what the other was saying as they brushed up against me.

By the time we were finished, it was nearing 3 pm. I had a mini argument with Gabriel regarding the bill, but he would not let me even reach for my purse.

"Oh crap, I am gonna be late!" I exclaimed as I jumped up from my seat.

"Have somewhere to be?" Asked Christopher

"Yeah, Korey and I have to meet a reporter for a magazine at 3:30 pm. Thank you all so much for inviting me to lunch. I hope to see you around." I said rushing from the restaurant and towards my car.

Korey will kill me if I'm late.

UNKNOWN

I watched her back as she rushed down the street towards the parking garage.

"Don't stare too long you look like a fool." I heard someone say from behind me.

"Just making sure she gets to her car safely," I answered

I heard a chuckle

"No need to worry, soon enough you won't have to worry at all. She will be safe with us." He said laying a hand on my shoulder

"You're right safe with us," I replied before finally turning and walking back into the restaurant.