Broken Spell: Part I

Welcome to my new trilogy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A short time ago, there was a dimension filled with wonderful magic.

But then darkness came into power, and the great battle began.

An army of the undead, led by a powerful warrior, swarmed over the land, setting their sights on the human realm and beyond.

All seemed hopeless when a small legion of brave and true wizards came forth.

Against insurmountable odds, they battled heroically. They drove the evil back from the edge of the human world.

And then the bravest wizard of them all cast a spell that sent the armies into the underworld.

He sealed darkness inside giant gates for eternity, and evil disappeared from the surface world.

But with great victory comes great loss.

The human world never knew of the great battle or the sacrifices that were made to save them from destruction.

Even till this day, they live in peace.

Unaware of what is about to awaken.

~X~

"That must be Briarwood."

"Really, what gave you that idea?"

Nick Russell rolled his eyes and shot his companion a sarcastic look. Her name was Kali Briar. She was eighteen years old, had shoulder-length brown hair, brown eyes, and a sun-kissed complexion.

"Was it the sign that says 'Briarwood - 25 miles'?" Kali asked, her own words dripping with sarcasm.

"You're not funny," Nick said.

Kali laughed and re-adjusted her helmet. She kick-starting her bike and revved the engine. Her leather gloves screeched against the handles and she released the break.

Nick followed Kali down the road.

The pair had known one another their whole lives. They'd been next-door neighbours for as long as they could remember, and even shared similar pasts. Both had been put up for adoption since they were new-borns, and neither one had been able to find their birth parents, and it wasn't from a lack of trying. The only thing the two didn't share was Kali's disregard for the rules and juvie record.

As the drove, the ground started to shake and Kali swerved her bike to prevent it from crashing into Nick's front wheel. She screamed as the bike toppled and she rolled forward onto the side of the road. She rolled onto her stomach and saw Nick come off his bike not that far away.

They were lucky to have swerved onto a patch of grass. They could've easily gone the other way and straight over the side.

As soon as the shaking started, it stopped.

"Kali, you alright?" Nick called.

"I think so," Kali replied. She rolled into a sitting position and checked her legs, waist and torso for injuries. She was thankful to her adopted mother for nagging her to wear padded clothes while she was out riding. If she had been wearing anything less, she could be seeing a hospital room a lot sooner.

Getting back to her feet, Kali pushed her bike upright and turned to look at Nick. He was already back on his bike and adjusting his helmet. He looked alright to her, no noticeable cuts or bruises, but she'd have to wait until they reached Briarwood to be sure.