Mystic Fate, Part I

It had been almost a week since the Master had been resurrected through Matoombo's body, a whole week since Udonnna had saved Leanbow and Eithne from the Underworld, and a week since the Rangers had had any battles with the three Terrors that remained at large.

The silence on the Master's side was both a blessing and a curse. The Rangers knew better than to lower their guard, but they weren't going to pass on the opportunity to relax. They still had a job at the Rock Porium and lives outside of their duties as Power Rangers.

However, Nick and Kali had more responsibilities now than they ever had before.

Since being back, Leanbow had scheduled training exercise after training exercise with his son, to prepare him for the ultimate fight against the Master. It was coming, they just weren't sure when or in what form.

Eithne, on the other hand, wanted to as much time to catch up with her long-lost daughter and to teach her all she needed to know about being the Hellhound. Which was why Kali was sat at the round table, a book open in front of her, and her mother sitting alongside.

"There are several legends concerning the Hellhound," Eithne was saying, "and all of them talk about it being the Keeper of Souls. But only a few mention it's abilities as protector. Your abilities are not only to prevent souls from the escaping the Underworld but also to stop the Master from returning."

"Well, I did a great job there," said Kali. "He's here, and he took out a friend in the process."

"Matoombo new his fate was sealed the minute he decided to go against the Master."

"Doesn't make the sting of loss any less easier to deal with. Matoombo became a close friend in the short amount of time we knew him, it hurts."

"He tried to destroy myself and Leanbow."

"Just like Leanbow tried to destroy us."

Eithne sighed.

"Udonna told me that I couldn't hold Leanbow's actions as Koragg against him," said Kali, staring at her mother. "The same goes for Matoombo. He may have been created to serve the Master, but he proved himself a worthy alley in the end by turning against him. If we can forgive Leanbow, then you can forgive Matoombo."

Eithne looked down at the table. "Okay. I'll try," she said. "Now, back to the Hellhound. I'm sure you've figured out just how important you are to the Master, by now. You're wanted for both your abilities and your powers. If he gets his hands on you, he will have the ability to sense when an attack is coming, but he'll also be able to remain outside of his cage."

Kali nodded. "Nick and I have already discussed ways of protecting each other," she said.

"You must rely on your team, not just each other. Your team will protect you better than just one person."

"I trust Nick, more than anyone."

"Maybe so," said Eithne. "But I have noticed, when you're both together, you're so distracted by the other that everything else fades away. Your feelings could cost you everything if you let them cloud your judgement."

Kali rolled her eyes and pushed away from the table. "My feelings for Nick have never clouded my judgement before," she said. "Even when we were arguing, we still managed to put everything aside for the sake of a battle. Ask the others, they'll agree, even Xander and he was part of the reason we were fighting in the first place."

"Maeve -"

Kali shook her head. "I go by Kali, now," she reminded.

"Alright. Kali," said Eithne with a sigh. "I'm just trying to keep you safe."