Heir Apparent, Part II

The silence was deafening.

Kali stood, with the help of Nick, as Udonna crossed the cavern and threw her arms around her husband.

"I don't know how to explain. But it's true," said Leanbow, holding Udonna at arm's length as they pulled away. "I am alive."

"This is unbelievable," said Maddie.

"No, this is one of Koragg's tricks," said Nick, shaking his head.

Imperious scoffed from where he had landed on the steps leading to his throne. "Leanbow may have survived but not Solaris Knight," he said, still trying to maintain his victory.

"I wouldn't count Daggeron out just yet," said Kali.

Imperious glared at her. "Now, to finish what I've started!" he said, aiming his fan at the team. A blast of black magic arched towards them but was deflected by Leanbow. The beam bounced back and collided with Imperious, knocking him into his throne.

"Uthe Sasoray!" said Leanbow. He snapped his fingers and the dreary cavern disappeared.

~X~

Kali blinked as the sunlight blinded her. She ducked her head and took a few seconds to adjust to the difference, before looking back up. Nick still had his arm around her back, supporting most of her weight against him, while Xander stood wearily nearby in case he was needed.

The others, Chip, Maddie, and Vida, were crowded together nearby, each one still staring at Leanbow like they were waiting for him to say or do something. Udonna, however, hadn't left her husbands side.

"We'll be safe in this dimension for a while," said Leanbow, turning his attention to the others. "You should sit," he added to Kali. "Chimera took a lot out of you before Imperious used his magic. You'll be recovering for a little while."

Kali looked to Nick and nodded. "Is that what that thing was called?" she asked, sitting down. "Chimera? Why does it affect me so much?"

"The chimaera is made up of souls," said Leanbow. "Good, bad, and neutral. All the souls that have yet to crossover, and the ones that refuse or even can't. Imperious used a dark spell to bind the souls into a monster. As the Hellhound, you prevent souls from escaping their dimensions. The Chimera challenges that ability."

"So you're saying that I can never go near that thing?" Kali asked. "How am I supposed to fight it?"

"You don't fight it," said Leanbow, shaking his head. "You trust your teammates to do that for you."

Kali sighed and looked around at her friends. She did trust them. But how could she let them face that thing without her?

"Am I the only one confused by what's going on here?" Xander asked as Leanbow walked away.

"I'm a little mixed-up myself," Vida agreed.

"Let me get this straight," said Chip. "Leanbow was Koragg, and Koragg was Leanbow, and one of them - or both of them - just saved our lives?"

"No, no, wait a second," said Nick, shaking his head. "This is the same guy who's been trying to toast us for months. How can we trust that it's Leanbow?"

"You're right," Leanbow nodded, his arms folded as he faced the team. "I don't blame you for not trusting me."

Udonna shook her head and stepped forward. "I trust you," she said. "I know it's you. What happened?"

"My tale is so incredible I'm not sure I believe it myself," said Leanbow. He took a seat on another rock, and the others settled in around him.

"That's a great start," Kali muttered, resting her head against Nick's shoulder as she sat beside her. "How are you supposed to believe your story if you don't believe it yourself?"