Long Ago

I've been waiting to post this chapter all week, and I can't hold back my excitement anymore.

Enjoy.

"Trust is the key to any team. To truly trust each other, you must be willing to put your safety in the hands of the team," Udonna explained. "Are you ready, Madison?"

"I guess so," said Maddie, hesitantly.

"Slowly fall forward. Your team will catch you."

Kali leaned against the railing, her arms folded, as she watched the others. She had already done her trust exercise with them, and luckily enough they had pulled through.

Maddie squeaked as she fell into Xander and Nick. The two pushed her back to her feet, just as Claire wandered past with Fireheart wrapped up in a blanket.

"No, Maddie, don't -" Kali called, as Maddie toppled backwards and hit the floor.

Maddie whined and lifted her blindfold. She looked around and found Vida and Chip cooing at the baby dragon. "Oh, that's trust for you," she said, rubbing her tail bone.

"Are you okay?" Kali asked, helping Maddie stand.

"I think so," said Maddie.

Kali smiled and wound her arm around Maddie's shoulders, leading her over to the others.

"Dark magical energy is emitting from the forest," said Udonna, gazing into the crystal ball.

"We'll check it out," said Nick.

A short walk away from Root core, Kali opened her Morpher and checked the coordinates of the energy surge. She frowned and looked around. "This is it," she said. "This is where the crystal ball wanted us to come."

"It's quiet," said Nick, looking around at the trees suspiciously. The only real sound was that of a croaking frog.

"Almost too quiet," Chip grinned. He laughed as the others turned to look at him. "Sorry. I always wanted to say that," he told them.

"At the risk of someone calling me paranoid," said Kali shooting Nick a look. He grinned back. "I get the feeling that someone is watching us."

Vida nodded. "I feel it, too," she said.

The trees rustled and the Rangers spun around to find their path blocked by a figure in ancient mystic armour.

"What brings you, children, into these dangerous woods?" the figure asked.

"Who you calling children, jokester?" Kali asked, clenching her fists.

The warrior laughed.

"Give us a second and we'll show you," said Nick.

The six prepared for a fight and then rushed the warrior, he managed to hold his own for the most part - he twisted Xander's arm around while holding back Vida and Chip and then threw Xander at Maddie and Nick.

"Hyah!" Kali shouted, jumping out of the tree above the warrior. She landed behind him and aimed a swift-kick to his legs. He jumped over her leg, spun around and grabbed her shoulders, hauling her into the air and tossing her aside.

Kali rolled to her knees and shook her head. She met Nick's gaze from across the clearing and nodded, reaching for her Morpher.

"Wait!" Udonna called, approaching from behind.

"Watch out! He's evil!" Nick warned.

"No, he's not," Udonna chuckled. "He's an old friend." She smiled at the warrior and hugged him once he had returned to his human form.