The Dark Wish, Part I

I did start writing Soul Spectre and Ranger Down but quickly lost interest, so I decided to jump straight into Dark Wish.

Let me know your thoughts.

Eithne Devine

Eithne Devine was the princess of the wood elves. Her parents, to this day, hold her in high regard throughout their kingdom. Not much is known about Eithne before she came to train with the Mystics, only that she was an exceptional fighter and had remarkable control over magic.

Magic was a rarity in the elven kingdom. Those that did possess it were said to be few and far between, and there had never been a record of any magic-dwelling elves in the royal family until Eithne. Being the first made her a highly valuable target for the darkness.

Eithne came to the Mystic's when she was only eighteen-years-old. Her age made her very young, especially by elven standards, as elves rarely left the kingdom before their twenty-fifth birthdays. She was a slender woman, with a sun-kissed complexion, a thin smile, and the elven pointed ears which she hid behind her waist-length brown hair.

Her magic was extraordinary. Being a wood elf, naturally, the ancient mystics believed her magic steamed from the Earth. But Eithne showed tremendous abilities in the art of Darkness and quickly resolved to train with the great sorcerer - Merlock.

Merlock gifted Eithne the power over darkness at her graduation ceremony two years later, by which time she had fallen in love with one of the Mystic Knights.

His name was Callindor.

Callindor and Eithne spent most of their time together after the graduation ceremony, and it wasn't long after their initial meeting that they were engaged to be married. Eithne, excited by the idea of being a wife, wished for Callindor to meet her parents. It is unknown if the meeting ever took place, because, less than three months before their wedding, Eithne gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, and the Great Battle between Good and Evil began.

Eithne gave her life during the Great Battle, and her baby girl, whom she had named Maeve, was lost forever.

Kali yelped as a scrunched up paper ball landed in her lap. She pulled her earbuds out and looked around, spotting Nick, Xander, and Chip laughing from the other side of the room. "What?" she asked, tossing the ball back and hitting Xander in the side of the head. "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"You're always reading that book," said Xander. "You're not fun anymore."

"What you reading about, anyway?" Chip asked.

"The Ancient Mystics," Kali answered.

Nick furrowed his brow. "I figured you'd given up on that after you learned who your birth parents were," he said. "Didn't you say that the former black mystic could sense magic and that's how you can do it? Through inheritance."

"That was the start," said Kali, looking back at the book in her lap. "But the History is really interesting. I just started the chapter on Eithne, or rather my mother, I guess. She was a princess of the woodland elves."

"Ooh. Does that make you royalty?" Xander asked. "Do we have to start bowing and calling you Princess Kali?"

"Only if you have a death wish," said Kali, turning the page.

The boy chuckled and returned to their game of chess.

"Now, this is the life," said Xander, using his magic to move one of his pawns across the chessboard. "Isn't magic grand?"