Dark Wish, Part II

Kali shivered as she passed through the tree opposite the Rock Porium. The air was much thinner and colder in the city than it was in the forest. She wrapped her arms around her torso, and run her hands up and down them.

"What happened to the Rock Porium?" Chip asked.

The music store stood in its usual place, but it was surrounded by railings and trash. The windows were boarded up and the usual colourful lettering was charred, greyed and covered in graffiti. Homeless people lingered on the steps; each one huddled against the walls and wrapped up in long coats, hats and scarves.

"Toby?" Vida asked.

Toby jumped and looked around at the mention of his name. He didn't look half as happy and excited as he had done that morning. Instead, he looked withdrawn, dull, shabby, and his curly hair was a lot wilder than usual.

"Hey, guys," Toby said, quietly. He was leaning on a shopping trolley full of trash. "I was worried about you. I thought that..." he trailed off as he spotted Kali and Nick. "Who are they?" he asked.

Kali cocked her head to the side. "Toby, it's us," she said. "Nick and Kali. We work for you."

"Work for me?" Toby repeated. He then started to shake his head. "The Rock Porium closed down months ago."

"What?" Maddie asked. "But, we were celebrating the first anniversary just this morning."

Toby stared at her, confused.

"Toby, what happened to the Rock Porium?" Vida asked. "What happened to all the colour?"

"Are you trying to mess with me?" Toby asked, tapping the side of his head. "You don't remember how the darkness took over? Four months ago."

Kali looked down the street, noticing how every shop, just like Toby's had been closed down. Guard rails covered most of the outside, while the inside was both boarded up and covered in graffiti or being used as shelters for the homeless people that were scattered around.

"Guys, something's happened," said Nick, drawing everyone's attention to him. "The world as we know it has changed. Four months ago is when Kali and I first came to Briarwood, and we became..." he trailed off as he caught Toby's gaze.

Kali sighed and nodded, realising what he was getting at. "This has got magic written all over it," she said. "This is what Imperious wanted Jenji for."

"Hey, guys, do you hear?" Toby asked, holding up a small musical device. "I got... music. I still have to listen to it, even though it's been banned."

"Banned music?" Chip repeated. "Toby, who banned it?"

Kali stiffened as a shiver run down her spine. "I think we're about to find out," she said, spotting a dark seal nearby. The gateway to the Underworld opened and a small cluster of Hidiacs appeared in the middle of the street.

Many people screamed and ran for cover. Toby tried to stuff the music box back into his pocket and backed away from his shopping cart. He struggled as Hidiacs grabbed his arms, and forced him to his knees, while another Hidiac took the music box and smashed it between his fingers.

"Hey, you can't do that!" Kali growled, pushing past her friends and catching the shoulder of the Hidiac. She swung him around and shoved him into the guard rail around the Rock Porium.

The other Hidiacs released Toby and turned to Kali. She stared at them, her fists clenched at her side. The Hidiacs stared at her, cocking their heads to the side and then pointing their staffs at her torso.

"Let's Ranger up," said Nick, pushing past the others and pulling Kali behind him. He reached for his Morpher but found nothing. He looked down in confusion, and then around at the others. They two were empty-handed.