Non-believer

Disclaimer: The image above is what the stone on Yui's choker looks like.

Yui woke up and took a shower. She ate her breakfast and went to work. Just like every day. She lived in an apartment in Ikebukuro. She came from a very wealthy family from Kyoto, yet she still left her family and moved to Ikebukuro of all places. 

Yui seemingly never smiled. Of course, she did in her life, but they were rare and almost unnoticeable. Her father always attempted spoiled her and her sisters rotten. But unlike her sisters, who loved everything their father gave them, she didn't see the value in all the toys that were given to her. Yui felt smothered with no breathing space, especially when she knew they were spoiling her so they can simply marry her off later. She only felt like she could be herself when she was with her grandmother. It was funny, while her grandmother always had a sweet smile on her face, Yui always wore a blank face. Her grandmother would tell her things that none would imagine a child would be interested in, all with the same sweet smile. Yui's favorite topic had always been the topic of death: what happens to our bodies, what happens to the soul, what the final moments are like, etc. It was through these types of conversations that she learned how to read and understand people so easily. It was also during one of these conversations that her life changed forever.

Flashback: 10 years ago

"What's wrong Yui? You seem sad."

"I have a question: Dad gave a necklace with a unicorn on it. He thought I would like it. What made him think that?"

"I have a feeling it's because it's the fact you're a girl. Your father has always been rather old fashioned and rather stereotypical."

"Now that you mention it, he always tells me I shouldn't play with certain things or read certain books because they're boy's things."

"I'm taking that necklace he gave wasn't to your liking, was it?"

"No, it wasn't."

"Well then, you can have mine if you want."

"You mean the chocker your wearing now?"

"Yes. But, I'll admit it might be hard adapting to the new form that comes with it."

"New form?"

Then, her grandmother's skin turned into white scales, her teeth seemed sharper as if they were fangs, and her brown eyes turned blood red and looked like that of a snake's. Yui didn't even flinch, she still wore that blank look on her face.

"Are you sure I can have it?"

"Of course, besides you seem the best option out of my 3 grandchildren. You actually took the time to listen to me and genuinely enjoy our conversations. You identify the fact that your father spoils you so he can have leverage over your life when you grow up. Even though you never seem to show your emotions, you let others know how you feel no matter the consequences. You seem to have an instinct for deciding who to trust and can see through people's facades. Meanwhile, your sisters are becoming spoiled airheads. They might be sweet now, but when they're older they'll act like spoiled princesses who won't survive without daddy's money."

"You said it would be hard to get used to. Does that mean physical or emotional?"

"Emotional. For me at least, it was hard to touch my skin and feeling scales instead of soft warn human skin. To accept that my teeth now carried poison in them that could have any effect I wanted. That my eyes no longer looked human. That I wasn't human anymore. Though knowing you, Yui, I doubt you'll have as much trouble as I did. But, then again I could be wrong. Besides, you'll have Orochi to help if you need it."