seven

It's third period, the class right before World History. Eddie picks at the orange paint embedded in his skin from art class and glances at the clock once more. It's only 10:48 but he feels like he's been inside those concrete walls for hours.

His English teacher always has the blinds over the windows open, even when they watch videos and movies. The blinds divide the sunlight, covering the room in thin shadowed lines. He studies them, the voice of his English teacher going mute as he wanders father into his own mind.

Jail cell bars flash through his thoughts. It's a cliché thing to think - your school reminding you of jail, but that's what goes through Eddie's mind every time he walks through the heavy doors of Derry High.

He knows he shouldn't, but he looks to the clock again. It's only been a minute and he knows if he doesn't distract himself in some way, he's going to drive himself mad with boredom.

The teacher cuts himself off and Eddie lifts his gaze curiously. He watches as the teacher leaves his desk and goes to the door, opening it. That's when Eddie realizes that he hadn't cut himself off, a knock at the door did. The class falls quieter than they were before as curiosity made everyone's ears attentive.

The teacher converses with whoever's at the door for a moment before letting out a defeated sigh. He turns back to the class, his eyes scanning the small amount of students. His eyes pause on Eddie and Eddie waits for his eyes to move, but they don't. His heart rate picks up and his nimble fingers go back to the peeling orange paint.

"Eddie," he calls out from the front of the class. "You're needed at the office." Shifts from peoples seats scatter around the classroom and Eddie can feel their burning stares bore into his skin as he gathers his belongings. One of the louder boys call out a loud "ooooh!!" but quickly shuts his mouth when he receives a glare from the teacher.

Eddie weaves through the desks and walks out the classroom, relief flooding his system when he escapes the stares from his classmates. But, that relief doesn't stay. He lifts his eyes to meet the office aid who was sent to fetch him only to lock eyes with those oh-so familiar brown eyes he can't seem to get away from.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He asks, his grip on his books tightening. "You're not an office aid."

Richie raises an eyebrow and he lifts his hand to show Eddie a small red slip of paper. "Then explain this, Eds." With narrowed eyes, he grabs it from Richie's fingers and glances it over, reading the thick black OFFICE AID PASS printed onto the top.

"What does the office need me for?" Eddie asks, actually starting to believe Richie.

He smiles and his eyes sparkle with innocent mischief. "The office," he says and starts to walk down the empty hallway. Eddie quickly follows and shifts his books in his arms, "wants me to take you out for lunch."

Eddie's feet stop, his shoes squeaking across the tiles. "Excuse me?" He asks and Richie spins around. "I-I've got class! And lunch isn't for another hour, Richie!" His words push out of his mouth with the same urgency he used when he talked with his mom.

"I know," Richie replies.

"I can't skip," Eddie continues on with his panicked rambling. "If my mom finds out, I'll never see daylight again. Do you know how much vitamin D humans need?"