thirty five

four months later

Even with summer break being weeks away, the actual summer heat has yet to be introduced. Waves of cold weather and clear skies still drag on from earlier months, but that doesn't bring down the high hopes of Derry's teens.

End of the year finals are also just around the corner, inching closer and closer every passing day. It blocks the freedom of summer, posing as just one last thing for the students to complete.

"Hey, Eds," Richie says, elbowing the boy in the side, "What if we get partners again for World History final? Wouldn't that be something?"

Eddie gently elbows Richie back, a small smile on his face. "Funny. I wouldn't be caught dead in another project with you."

"You were last time though."

"Not again, is what I mean, Rich."

"Well I think-"

Beverly raises both of her hands, also yelling, "Boys! Stop your bickering and pay attention."

Eddie is quick to shut down, his hands falling into his lap and back relaxing onto the wall behind him. Richie only gazes at Beverly, a dumbfounded look on his face before he too slowly drops his hands to the carpeted floor beside him.

Beverly maintains eye contact with Richie, the boy watching as her stoic look breaks and her eyebrows draw closer. Her hands come together as she messes with the rings wrapped around her fingers, twisting the metal bands to keep her hands preoccupied.

"Richie," she says, her voice strained. "I'm sorry for barging in here while Eddie was over, but.." She breaths in deeply, her breath shaky and uneven, "but you know how my dad is supposed to be getting released next year? After we graduate and leave for college?"

Eddie's eyes dart from Richie to Beverly, then back to Richie. "Should I.." He says slowly, "Should I go wait in the kitchen?"

Beverly shakes her head, her hair brushing against her shoulders. It's gotten some length to it since winter and it's beginning to lose its looped curls. "Eddie, you're my friend, too. I don't mind if you hear this," she says, "Richie just knows more of the situation."

Eddie watches as she brings up the back of her hand to wipe at her nose, then looks over at Richie. He's not paying any mind to the confused boy next to him, instead looking at Beverly with saddened eyes. It's obvious there's a backstory to this, history. Troubled history, at that.

"Bev," Richie says, "What's going on with your dad?"

Her hands run down the sides of her thighs, the tips of her fingers repeatedly tapping her leg. "He's getting released a.. a year early," she says, "for 'good behavior.'"

"No," escapes Richie's mouth immediately. "No. You're fucking kidding me, right?"

"He's going to come back before I leave," she continues on. "He's going to come back and I will still be here.. in Derry."

Richie pulls in his legs and gets up off the ground, leaving Eddie confused and concerned. "But your aunt won't let him see you, right? When he gets out."

Beverly meets his gaze and shrugs. "It's the same with the phone calls, Richie. She won't see him herself but she won't stop me from seeing him if I want," she explains. Her voice shakes as badly as her hands, the rings doing nothing as a distraction.