fifteen

Ever since Richie was a kid, school has been fairly easy for him. It wasn't hard to ace tests and quizzes after minimal studying the night - or sometimes class - before. He never found it to be something to brag about, because why brag about grades when you can brag about fitting approximately 25 marshmallows into your mouth?

Richie walks out of his last final with a small smile on his face. Other juniors rush past him, desperate to get to their lockers and start winter break. But not Richie. He despises the drive home. The utter dread that trickles into his stomach, closing in on his mind. Tomorrow's Thursday, the one day he gets with his parents, but his dad isn't home yet and won't be until Sunday. He sighs, his lungs pushing out any weary emotions with one breath, and heads with the flow of traffic down the staircase.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spots his best friend talking with Bill and Stanley. Over the excited chatter of his classmates, he can just make out her lovely laugh floating over. No one brought their school supplies or backpacks that day, but it was nice to take a few unneeded things home and start the new semester fresh after New Years.

He closes his locker, saying a bitter goodbye to the bottom of the locker that refuses to lock into place. Everyone is clearing out fairly quickly, ready to not see Derry High for the next few weeks. Ready to be in the comfort of their own homes instead of the beige brick walls and stale air. Richie pushes back the thought and smiles at his friends.

He slots himself into their small circle after Bill stepped to make room. "Speak of the Devil," Beverly says and smiles up at him. Richie glances over at her for a second, confused and slightly panicked. They were talking about him? What about?

cool it, richie, he thinks. bev wouldn't talk about you behind your back.

Richie straightens his posture and slides a smile onto his face. "Couldn't keep my name out of your mouth, I see," he says with newfound confidence. Bill looks like he's about to say something, his eyes lighting up as he looks at Richie, but he's interrupted when Richie's eyes dart around as if he's just now noticing something. "Where's Eds?"

"He's coming," Stan answers, his eyes searching the scatter of students behind Richie. Richie glances over his shoulder, his own eyes picking apart shirts and heights differences. He turns back to the circle and locks eyes with Stan. It's only for a split second before Stanley ducks his head and Richie puts his attention into whatever Bill is saying to him.

"W-We were th..thinking of going to the Yellow Duh-Diner f-for lunch. I..If you w-wanna guh-go." Richie shrugs his shoulders, his mind already made up.

"You don't have to ask me twice, Big Bill."

It takes a minute or two for Eddie to finally show, and when he does Richie can't help but play with the frames of his glasses as he watches Eddie easily fit into the group. His breathing was heavy and quick and he didn't need someone to question it before he explained. "Had to.. get my meds from the nurse," he says and turns the white paper bag around in his hands. "My mom'll kill me if I forgot it at school over break."

Bill and Beverly walk through the circle and start down the hallway, the others following without question. They form a long line and walk besides one another. Bill gently grabs Eddie's elbow to gain his attention.

"So? Can-can you go?" He asks after telling Eddie about their lunch plans. Eddie glances at him and rubs his lips together nervously.

"I'm not sure, Bill. My mom'll freak if she knew I was going out to eat."

Richie is on the other end of the line, walking beside Stanley. He looks down the row of faces and listens to Bill trying to coax Eddie into coming with them. And by the way Beverly's eyes are intently watching the tiles pass under her feet, it's obvious she's listening too.