eight

Eddie
Richie got into a fight?
Back in 8th grade before I moved

Stanley
old news?
booorrrinnggg

Bill
^^
I remember that fight though, it was pretty bad

Stanley
the one against bowers?

Eddie
It was against Bowers?

Bill
Yeah
Broke Richie's thumb right?

Eddie
Yeah
What happened?

Bill
Stan was there, so he knows more

Stanley
only for part of it
richie was talking to conner and henry came over. he looked really mad and started yelling at richie
i left when henry punched him

Eddie
Who's Conner again?

Bill
Bower's cousin

Eddie
Oh
Why did they fight?

Bill
Beats me

Stanley
^
when are you coming back to school? there's a test in chemistry

Eddie
There is?
Fuck, I'll ask Richie to take us back

~~~

When the two boys snuck back into school through a backdoor, Eddie threw Richie a fleeting 'thank you for lunch!' before speed-walking and ducking around the corner. Richie had stood there for a few seconds, blinking in confusion. Was Eddie late for something? He only mentioned a test but that was during his last period of the day.. Richie only breathed out and followed after him, his footsteps echoing down the deserted hallway.

The final bell of the day rung and Richie stood at his locker, shoving notebooks and folders in when Beverly smacked a hand to the locker next to his. He jumped, momentary fear seizing him.

"You have some explaining to do, Rich," she said before Richie could tell her off for scaring him.

"I'm not telling you shit unless you buy me something to eat."

She lifted her chin and crossed her arms. "If food gets you to talk, so be it," she said.

The two made their way to the cafeteria, standing next to the vending machines and chanting silent hopes that Richie's m&m's wouldn't get caught on the metal spirals.

Richie and Beverly sat at the back of the cafeteria near the windows. Fogged condensation and cold hovered over the glass as little flurries of snow fell from the muted gray sky. Richie stared outside, noticing how everything in Derry seemed so gray. He wondered if there was anywhere else in the world where the color gray didn't exist. He wondered if he'd ever find that place.

"Are you gonna talk or stare outside all day?"

Richie lifted his gaze to Beverly, who had a small smile on her face. "Impatient, are we?" Richie asked as he shifted so his back was leaning against the brick wall. He started to recount from the start when he stole an Office Pass from some kid in his study hall. Beverly didn't interrupt once and let Richie tell his story, small smiles and little laughs coming out when Richie put on his best Eddie impressions.