twenty nine

Beverly said something about watching Ben's football practice after school Monday, also indirectly hinting she wouldn't be needing a ride home that day. To which Richie didn't mind, but the car felt empty without her sitting in the passenger seat.

Now as Richie sits in his living room with the TV on as background noise, he can't keep his focus on one thing for longer than a few seconds. Not with one certain boy running around in his mind.

He catches himself smiling brightly every once in a while, having to swallow it down only for it to grow on his face once more. He could get sick from the warmth swelling up in his chest, but if it means Eddie stays in his mind, he wouldn't care if he were bedridden.

Just as promised, Eddie had talked to him at school that day. He talked to Richie every chance he got. In the halls, during classes, at lunch.. Almost got them into trouble in World History, not that Richie cares.

It was nice to have him back. Really nice.

Richie sinks deeper into the couch, his cheeks starting to grow sore at the excessive grinning. Perhaps this is what Beverly was talking about, finding a reason to stay.

Richie was on the train tracks, the same ones he dreamed would roll him to a new life, and along the way he stumbled across Eddie. That couldn't be a coincidence. Couldn't be.

He's contempt to waste the last few hours of his Monday to daydreams and replays of yesterday. Maybe he'll even drift off to sleep with the boy right there with him.

Before Richie could delve in deeper, the slam of a car door too close to be his neighbors catches his attention. He hears a voice, then the slow disappearing of an engine seconds before his front door glides open.

Speak of the Devil, Richie thinks and almost chuckles at it.

The girl with curls so strawberry red to the point it barely looks natural comes strolling in, both hands clutched onto her backpack straps. She doesn't see Richie, instead walking to the stairs and craning her neck up.

"I'm right here, intruder," Richie says.

Beverly flips around, startled fear in her eyes until she realizes it's only the boy she was looking for. "Rich," she says as she shrugs off her backpack and drops it to the floor, "You won't believe what had happened."

Before she could take a seat, Richie stands up and gestures to the kitchen. "Food for me first and then you can spill whatever is going on in the life of Ms. Marsh."

He hears her footsteps right behind him, then listens as they depart for the counter. She likes her spots on counter tops, her feet dangling off the side. It reminds Richie of the times they used to climb to her apartment roof and sit on the edge. Somethings never really change, do they?

"I'll tell you as you make yourself something," she says, leaning forward slightly. Richie nods and pulls out a plate to make himself a batch of pizza rolls. "I'm not sure if it's fair for me to tell you this, but holy shit Richie! I have to tell someone, alright?"

"Okay.." he replies, starting to slow down his movements to give her his full attention.

"Bill kissed me in the bleachers."

Richie doesn't think his head could've snapped over any faster. "What?" He gasps out, forgetting the plate and turning around to face Beverly.

"I know!" She says, her eyes wide as if she's having trouble believing it herself. "No warning, too! Ben and his team went into the locker rooms and he just.. leaned over and- and kissed me."