nine

Sleep still hazes Richie's mind as he stands by the front door, his eyes closed. His backpack weighs heavy on his shoulders, full of school supplies and an extra set of clothes. After a moment of thuds and dragging along the floors upstairs, Maggie came downstairs with Wentworth at her heels. The two each carry a suitcase, but the both were only for one.

"Promise to call when you land?" Maggie asks as she sits the suitcase down next to the door.

Richie cracks a tired eye open as Wentworth pecks his wife on the cheek. "I'll do you one better. I'll call at the airport."

Maggie nods and a small, nervous smile slides onto her face. "Stay safe. I've heard crazy things about Indiana."

"Those 'crazy things' were back in the 80's, honey," Wentworth says and opens the front door. Richie pushes himself off the wall and stands straight before his mother can instruct him to do so. He hasn't spoken to either of his parents since last night, yet he doesn't want to leave it off on such an awkward note..

"Bring me back a souvenir." Went nods and looks to his son. He visibly hesitates, his hand stuttering before slowly raising to gently clap Richie on the shoulder.

"I will. Don't you worry that head of yours."

His confidence dropped greatly after he got fired from his job as a dentist two years ago. Then Maggie's miscarriage... It seems like both his parents' old ghosts hang over their personalities, an empty shell of who they once were.

Maggie helps her husband with his suitcases down the porch steps and to the trunk of his car. Richie walks outside after them, snow crunching under his shoes. The skies never lightened up and rolling gray clouds cover the sky for as far as Richie can see. It makes sense as it is early December, but he would kill to see some blue.

The car starts up and Richie's eyes are torn away from above. He watches as his mother warns his dad about the possible ice under all that snow and he only waves her off.

"It'll be fine, Mag! I'll call you later."

She breaths out and white steam curls up high above her head. "Alright," she says and finally steps back from the car.

Went backs out into the street, pausing to wave to his family. Maggie waves back and Richie salutes his father. He drives off down the street, slush flying out from under the tires.

"I gotta Zayn," Richie says and hops down the rest of the front steps.

"Do you have everything for Beverly's?" Maggie questions as he pulls open his own car door.

"Yes, mom. And even if I didn't, I leave enough clothes over there to open a whole store." Richie reaches over to close the door, but Maggie's hand stays planted on top of it and he looks up at her expectingly. She has her bottom lip pressed between her teeth as she stares at her shoes.

"I'm sorry," she finally says. "For not being here. And with your father gone for the next few weeks.." she trails off and breaths in deeply.

"It's just ul-right Mummsie!" Richie says, a hand raising in the air. "No need to be so sad, now!"

Maggie chuckles sadly and lets go of the car door. "Drive safely! I'll be home at the usual time if you need anything." Richie only nods and brings two fingers to his forehead in a curt salute as he pulls the car door closed. Maggie shakes her head, but a small smile lingers.