thirty

Throughout the next few days, both Richie and Beverly have caught onto Stanley's longing stares towards their lunch table. It makes Richie wonder if he's ready to come back, to join their group again. He's got Eddie and Bill back, sure, but he wants Stanley back, too.

At this point, Beverly has come to terms that no matter how many questions she asks Richie and the other two, they will always be unanswered. Richie can't blame her for being curious as to why Stanley left, and god is it hard to keep something this big from her, but it's not something for Richie to spill.

Lunch finishes and the four depart to their last few classes of the day. Richie and Eddie linger in the halls, stealing a few more seconds before the latter tells Richie that he has to go to class before he's late.

"We still have a full minute," Richie argues.

"Yes," Eddie agrees, slowly starting to walk backwards, "But you still have to stop by your locker. Now go, shoo. I'll talk to you later, Chee."

He gives the boy one last smile before turning and walking down the hall towards his Spanish class. Richie lets out a soft sigh and reluctantly starts to walk away, reminding himself that it won't be the last time during the day he'll see Eddie.

While at his locker, he sees someone come up to his side, head ducked and shoulders tensed up. "Hey Staniel," Richie says, a small smile gliding onto his face.

The boy doesn't look directly at him, instead only staring at the floor. "Hey, Richie."

"You need something? I need to get to class but I don't mind skipping a few minutes."

Stanley rubs his nose and lifts his gaze to the wall behind Richie's head. "No," he starts, then closes his eyes shut and shakes his head. "Well, yes? I- I was just wondering if you and the others would be willing to hang out this weekend."

He tries not to show it, but the excitement that sparks in Richie's chest forces a smile onto his face. "Yeah, dude," he says and shrugs his shoulders. "That'll be fun. Is it a sleepover, too? Or just plain hanging out?"

"I don't really care. Whatever the others want."

Richie closes his locker door and looks at Stanley, who's curled hair loops down right above his eyes, obscuring them. "I'll check in with Bev after school."

Stanley nods and steps back, only to finally lift his head as the bell rings out in the deserted hallways. Classroom doors swing closed and the boy lets out a string of curses. "I have to go," he says, turning around and going down the hallway.

"Bye Stan The Man!"

Stanley flips back around, a clear smile on his face. "Goodbye Richie! I see you're still annoying."

Richie snorts out a laugh, watching as Stanley turns the corner to the stairwell. At least his class is right next to his locker and his teacher for sure saw him, so Richie isn't as concerned as Stanley. He doesn't feel like going to class, but at least now he has something to think about to get him through these next few hours.

The school day ends, going by a little more quickly with the ideas sprouting in Richie's head. He and Beverly meet up in the parking lot as always and while in the car, Richie lays out the plans for the weekend to her.

"Really?" She asks, an excited gasp following as her mind spirals in the same way Richie's had. "I would love to, but it depends on when, Rich."

"What? Why? You're never busy," Richie says.

Beverly glares over at him, but the smile on her face diminishes it. "For your information, I actually am busy. Ben's taking me to a diner on Sunday."

Richie looks over at his best friend, then glances at the road. "Wow. Benny Boy is taking Ms. Marsh out on a date?" He asks, a smile growing onto his face.

From out of the corner of his eye, he can see Beverly quickly grow embarrassed. She pulls her sleeve over her mouth, hiding a grin. "No," she says, her voice shrill. "It's not a date, Richie. Simply two friends hanging out."

"Bev," Richie shrugs, "Don't try and lie to me. You can tell me if you're getting a taste of football dick."

"Richard!" Beverly yells out.

"We both will be gettin some!" He defends, trying to keep in his laughter as Beverly swats him in the arm.

"That's disgusting! I'm not- we are not-"

Richie shakes his head, letting Beverly dissolve in her own burning embarrassment. She shuts herself up, being sure that Richie feels her glare before moving to look out the window, her sleeved hand covering her cheeks.

Richie drops her off, leaning over the center console to throw kisses out the window as she hurriedly gathers her things. "I'm never talking to you again," she says as she closes the door.

"I don't think I can count up the amount of times you've said that only to come right back," Richie responds, a cheeky grin on his face knowing he's right in this argument.

Beverly throws a middle finger his way as she climbs up her driveway, making Richie laugh out as he puts his car into drive. "I'm really feeling the love in this friendship," he says and gets ignored. Which he doesn't mind, he probably deserved it a little.

He goes home with happy thoughts in his head.