Maybe An Evil Dad Ain't So Bad

"Grenadine! Grenadine come here!" Goldie called to her daughter. The yellow Unicorn was currently cooking pancakes, readying herself to let her only child go to school for the first time in five years. Grenadine had grown up in a small cottage in a small town in a wonderful kingdom.

"Coming!" The peach Umbrum trotted out of her bedroom down the hall and towards the kitchen. "Mm! Are you making pancakes mama?" Her green eyes were wide in excitement since pancakes were her absolute favourite breakfast food.

Goldie chuckled as she set a plate in front a seat at the table Grenadine quickly sat down at. "Of course, sweetheart. It's your first day of school! What else would I make for you?" The two sat in comfortable silence as the smaller of the two ate her pancakes quickly, attempting to say something in the middle of her breakfast.

"Imrf grna bre arfon!" After seeing a confused look on her mother's face, Grenadine corrected what she was trying to say. "Sorry. It's gonna be awesome!" She grabbed her plate and took it to the sink, grabbing her backpack from off the chair she had been sitting in (already packed from last night. No way was Grenadine Grim gonna be late for school.) "Let's go! Let's go!" She was jumping up and down by the door, her dark red mane bouncing slightly as she did so.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming, calm down!" Goldie grabbed Grenadine's lunch bag and opened the door, letting both of them out of the house. They began walking down the dirt road, the school not too far away. They passed a few other families with their children along the way, none seeming to be as excited as the peach Umbrum in front of Golden Rays.

"Do you think I'll be able to make friends, mama?" Grenadine asked, never ceasing her pace.

"Of course, darling. Who wouldn't want to be your friend?" Goldie sure sounded confident, but inside she was worried there would be someone who might just put Grenadine down. I mean, Goldie thought, she's not even my daughter. She could find out that her real mother might still be out there!

It was true, they weren't related in the slightest, but ponies often assumed they were, their colouring similar and all. Goldie was a yellow Unicorn with a fluffy red mane that covered her horn, a darker yellow on the tips of her hooves and a dark peach on her muzzle and ears. Grenadine was similar in the aspect of her peach coat, dark red mane, Unicorn horn... Most would assume this was a mother and daughter whom the father had simply left.

"We're here!" Grenadine snapped the yellow unicorn out of her trance. "Ooh, I can't wait!" The Umbrum turned towards Goldie and hugged her. "By mama! Love you!"

"Love you, too, honey," Goldie smiled at her daughter as she walked in the front door of her school, many other children following behind.

Grenadine was ecstatic! It was her first day of school and she couldn't wait to make new friends. Looking around, it seemed like most of the children were heading into a classroom on the right, so that's where she went. Inside were desks with nametags on them, one of them read GRENADINE GRIM. Perfect, she walked into the right classroom.

"Did you see the moon last night, Sunbeam? I raised it all by myself."

Raised the moon? Isn't that was princesses did, though? Grenadine turned to her left and saw two desks next to each other. The nametags reading SUNBEAM SPIRIT and SOMBRE FLAME, however, Grenadine could only read the last word in the second name so she didn't know exactly who the person talking was.

"That's great, Sombre." So that's how you said it. "I got to raise the sun this morning. Mom says I'm almost as good as the legend Celestia herself."

"Celestia?" Grenadine muttered to herself as she sat down. These two must be very important. Maybe they're the princesses, she thought. Mama did mention they were my age.

"All right, class! Settle down, we're going to do roll, but with a little spin on it. I'll call your name and you'll say a fun fact about yourself!" The teacher was a brown Earth Pony with a pink mane cut short in a bob. her eyes were green and her cutie mark was ABC in colourful letters. "I'll go first. I'm Miss Amaretto, and I like to dance. Now," Miss Amaretto began calling out the names of students. They responded with a "here" or a "that's me!" followed by a generic fun fact about themselves.

"Grenadine Grim!" Miss Amaretto called out. The Umbrum was ready for this moment.

"Here!" The class turned towards her, ready to hear the groundbreaking fun fact that would be the first impression Grenadine would have to build off of. "I like to read magic spells in my spare time!" There it was. Perfect. People would think she was smart since she reads spells even when she doesn't have to.

"Wonderful! Now..."

Grenadine proudly held her head up, happy her fun fact got such a response. The teacher kept calling out names, reaching the two girls who were talking about Celestia earlier.

"Sombre Flame?" The class turned expectantly to the two desks with the girls sitting in them. The one on the right, a grey Unicorn with a blue mane that had a darker blue within spoke up, adjusting her light blue tiara as she did so.

"I enjoy singing in the palace," Sombre announced. She is a princess! Grenadine looked at her hooves, glad she now knew who they were. If Sombre is a princess then Sunbeam has to be a princess, too!

Sunbeam's name was called next. She was a white Unicorn with a mane similar to a sunny rainbow: red, orange, yellow in the centre, orange and red again. Sunbeam also had light blue eyes and pale yellow slippers on her hooves. "I like to draw on the palace balcony," She declared.

"That's wonderful, Sunbeam! Now, I'm passing out a blank sheet of paper. You see there are currently name tags in front of you, but those are simply placeholders. You can write your name on these and decorate them however you want!" Miss Amaretto continued to pass out the papers, the students beginning to interact.

"Hey, wait, Sombre?" Sunbeam turned to the grey Unicorn next to her, gesturing to the Umbrum in front of the two of them. "Isn't she an Umbrum, or whatever it's called?" Both princesses were now looking at Grenadine, making the filly uncomfortable.

"Like the legend of Sombra?" Sombre and Sunbeam were now talking simply to get her attention and annoy her, at this point, not to simply make conversation. "She must be related! I haven't seen an Umbrum in forever, mom says they were extremely powerful."

Grenadine wasn't sure how to comment. She simply looked at the two and asked, "What's an Umbrum?"