The Big Move

You never thought the day would come where you would leave Texas. This was the place you grew up in, the place you knew so well, it was so familiar. Glancing back for the last time you look into your apartment, its empty and clean. The windows are full of sunlight as if the sun rays are saying goodbye. You chuckle at the thought of the sunlight saying goodbye, but in a cliche way it lit the world you knew for so long in that building. Turning away, the door shuts and you lock it for the last time. Taking a deep breath you step towards a new beginning, away from the familiar. You text your landlord letting him know you'll be heading there in a day or two.

...

Opting for the best money saving moving tactic, it was best to drive the 30 hours to your new place. Lucky for you podcasts and Spotify exists so it didn't feel as lonely.

...

Putting the car in park, you unbuckle your seatbelt and lean forward placing your forehead on the wheel.

"Holy crap I live in LA now." you say to yourself staring at your feet.

dink dink dink

You scream in surprise and look up to see a burly man standing next to your car tapping on your window. Had he not had a big smile on his face and waved at you like he knew you, you would not have opened the car window.

"You must be y/n!" he says enthusiastically. "I'm your landlord! Not to be creepy but the Texas license plates gave me an inkling that it was you. Welcome to LA! Let me give you a tour of your apartment."

Realizing that you have a shocked facial expression and your hand over your racing heart you shake your head and nod.

"Wow you're observant. Nice to meet you!" you say to the burly man.

The apartment was clean and the appliances up to date. Everything that was on the listing was there, including the small balcony that looked out to the mountains of California.

Shaking the landlords hand you thank him for the lovely place to live. He nods and hands you your keys.

"Your mailbox is number 4, just like your apartment number. Let me know if you have any issues or concerns!" He chirps and goes on his way.

Closing the door to your new apartment you take it all in.

"Now what?" you laugh.

...

After moving all of the boxes into your apartment and unpacking the necessities, you go for a walk. You aren't used to shops being so close to your place, let alone walking distance. Settling at a homey coffee shop you grab a drink and sit in a window seat, watching cars pass and letting your mind wonder.

You hear the bell on the door ding and someone walks in. Instinctively, you turn and look.

The man that walks in is tall, strong looking, and has an interesting blue tint to his hair. "He is handsome," you conclude while analyzing him mentally as he orders his drink. He's wearing a backpack and holding a computer. "Huh," you think, "he must be coming here to work on something". As he turns to look around the shop you quickly realize that you've been staring at him for at least 2 minutes. Quickly turning your head and hoping he didn't notice you gawking at him, you look back out of the window.

A few minutes pass by. You've again lost yourself in thinking about the city. The people bustling around and the underlying hum of cars passing. It's hypnotic yet calming. Sighing, you take a pull of your drink and come back to yourself. Immediately, your mind returns to the man that stood out so distinctly to you. Cautiously looking around the shop trying to make it seem as 'natural' as possible, your eyes land on him. He is sitting at a booth by himself working on his computer. Stickers cover his computer, one saying "smosh" in bold letters. It sounds familiar to you but you don't know why.

Part of you wants to go over and talk to him. "If only I had the balls to actually do that," you remind yourself internally. You turn back to facing forward and unlock your phone. Smosh was such a familiar word to you that you had to look it up. The screen floods with pictures of a group of people. "That smile is there," your mind stops you from continuing to read. Rubbing your eyes you think to yourself "there's absolutely no way thats the guy from my yearbook." You turn and see if that is the same smile that stuck out to you a week ago. Coincidentally, you lock eyes with the brunette. You freeze and can only think to smile and turn away.

...

:)