Burnt

Turning the page of your book it falls and hits you in the face.

"Ouch," you hear Damien say with a chuckle.

It's been about 2 hours since he dunked you, both of you are laying on your back on the large round towel, he has his arm draped over his eyes. He's peeking at you from underneath his arm with one eye open and the other squinting.

"I have a hat you can borrow to cover your face," you offer him.

"That would be helpful actually," he sits forward onto his forearms.

Reaching into your tote you grab the ball cap that you brought, it's maroon with distressing on it. Handing it to Damien he lays back down, placing it over his face. You hear him take a large deep breath in and he hums.

"This hat smells so good," he says from underneath it.

"I haven't washed it since I last wore it so you're probably smelling my shampoo/hair," you joke.

"Well i'll be damned, that's some good smelling shampoo." he rolls to his stomach, placing the hat in his head backwards.

He looked good in your hat, the maroon color of it made his brown eyes shine as he looked at you.

"What are you lookin at huh?" he's staring back at you.

"Nothing," was the only thing you could think to say, the sunburn hiding the blush growing on your cheeks.

...

You sigh. It's getting late and the sun it setting, it looks beautiful, but you should really be heading home. Sitting forward you look over to Damien laying on his stomach, his ribcage rising and falling with the pattern of his breath. He fell asleep a long time ago and now, you notice, his back is as red as a lobster. Guilt passes through you should have told him a long time ago. Maybe offered sunscreen? Looking towards your feet you realize you're just as burnt, just on the opposite side as his, lines from your bathing suit peak out from your top as you lift it, stark and hurting.

"Damien," you nudge him.

"Huh?" he stretches and moves to sit on his knees.

"We're both crispier than fried chicken," you joke, slightly wincing as you cross your legs.

"Dang, you're right," he admits. Looking at your chest he makes a worried face, "that looks like it hurts," he says lightly.

"I'll be okay, but we should get going. I need to text Ian back about scheduling that interview." You stand and brush off the extra sand. The water glints in the setting sunlight, it looks so inviting so you decide to take one last dip. Your toes touch the water and sing, your skin has become dried out from laying for so long. Walking into the waist deep water you hear someone following you, turning only your head you notice Damien following. As the waves crash, you try and get the sand out of your top but as you do so the clasps come undone and before you know you're holding your chest in your hands and sinking low enough so nobody sees.

"Damien," there's a panic in your voice. It immediately grabs his attention.

"Whats wrong y/n," he comes closer to you.

"I might have just lost my top," you wince, the sunburn hurt as you touched it.

His eyebrows raise as he realizes the magnitude of this situation. His eyes stay locked on yours.

"Did you bring an extra t-shirt?" he says as his eyes search the coastline and around the both of you, looking for the lost top.

Sighing, "No," you say and lower your face.

"I'll be back in a sec," he leaves you in the water, you feel so exposed.

You see him exit the water and jog over to his bag, pulling out an extra shirt. He picks up his towel and shakes it from sand, putting the shirt on your bag he walks into the water with the towel in hand.

"Use this towel to cover yourself as you get out. You can take my extra shirt home with you so you can be covered." he smiles slightly, returning to the worried look he had before leaving the water.

"You're a life saver Damien." you wrap the towel around your torso.

Walking to your stuff, you put the shirt over the wet towel and drop it so you're only left with a baggy shirt and your swim bottoms on. Turning again to Damien who has exited the water, you smile a full smile and face him.

Pulling the shirt to look at it, you look back at him.
"This shirt is so soft!! Thank you again."

"No problem," he nods, pulling the tank he had on before over his wet upper half.

Folding up your towel you wrap his wet towel inside it so that it won't soak your tote.

"I can take care of that," he motions to grab it.

You turn away from his hand, "let me be nice and wash it for you. I'll bring it back with this shirt." you say sweetly with a smile.

He shrugs and heads with you toward the sidewalk. The sun was setting low now and you turn to admire it, stopping in your tracks you watch the colors change. You take a deep breath and let it out slowly, orange and yellow blended together to make a beautiful gradient that met the waterline. Pink clouds floated above it scattered throughout the sky, birds flew about beyond the skyline. A shiver goes down your arms and goosebumps appear. This was stunning. What a great way to end such a peaceful day. Well minus the Jack part. A hand on your shoulder reminds you that you're not by yourself and you see Damien standing next to you watching the sky. His eyes search the waterline and a small smile overtakes his mouth as he turns his look at you. Today made you happy, doing what you wanted to with someone who made it a good time. You never thought California would treat you this well let alone have a man that, was so far, checking all of your boxes.

...

"Thanks!" you tell the Uber driver as you close the car door.

You felt safer going home in an Uber than walking the distance in the dark.

You and Damien parted ways on the street. His car was in the opposite direction of your place so you convinced him to allow you to walk yourself home despite his pleading to drive you.

"I'll be fine," you say to him with a reassuring hand on his upper arm, "maybe i'll see you in a couple of days if I get an interview. I'll let you know if I do." you end with a smile.

"Okay then," he smiles back. His eyes trace your face and land on your lips. This wasn't your first rodeo with boys so you went in for a hug before he could try and kiss you. Pulling away he looks at you and smirks.

"See you soon then." and with that you parted ways.

...

AN: I am aware these aren't smosh focused yet, but i love innocent things like this. Plus you have to make them work for attention ;)