chapter two

__

"Keep planting and sowing, living and knowing, that beautiful things take time"

__

I'VE GONE to the Curtis' house almost every day for the past month-ish that I've known them. Pony and I would say that it's just for our project but that lasted 3 days. I got to known the gang real well too. I picked up a bit of their lingo as well . Most would say my relationship with the gang is blossoming too fast and I would agree, but with them it's different. They're open to new people and making them feel welcome as if I'm in the gang myself. My dad doesn't mind either, he rarely is home anyway

"El, what in the world do you always zone out about" Darry asks.

"Just my thoughts, Superman" I smiled as I looked up at him, "Yeah you're a dreamer just like my kid brother" Soda says as he ruffles Ponyboys hair.

I'm pretty good friends with all of the gang. There aren't any girls in the gang besides the ones in relationships or flings with the boys. I'm closest to Ponyboy and Johnny, though. I think me and Johnny can relate to many things because we're so alike. We're both shy and frail, and we even look as if we could be siblings. I think that's why Dally isn't so stand-off-ish with me. Pony told me about how Dallas doesn't like new people and that it's weird how comfortable he is with me.

"I think I'm gonna head out guys, I'll see ya tomorrow" I said, waving goodbye. Suddenly a series of goodbyes rang as I slowly exited the house, "Bye bye Ellie-belly" Two-Bit yelled out behind the closed door. I just laughed and walked down to my house.

"Get out of my house and stay out you hood!" I heard echo down the streets.

Then I see a bruised Johnny running down the sidewalk to the lot, "Hey, Johnny" I said as I jogged up to the trunk of an old torn up truck.

"El?" He quietly squeaked as he looked up from his hands. He was crying. His old man probably beat him up again. I feel so bad for him but I know I can't show it cause he doesn't like people pitying him. I immediately crawled up to the bed of the truck so I could comfort him. I wrapped my arms around him as he burys his head into my shoulder. I rubbed his back just letting him pour his feelings out.

"Shh, it's okay, it's okay" I cooed trying to calm him down.

"I don't know why I get like this, it's no different from any other beatin" He finally chokes out coming up for air.

"I don't got none to live for anymore. I got nobody" He sobs as he falls back into the cushions, "Don't you say that Johnny Cade. You've got the gang, you got me now. Live for me Johnny".

"Thanks Ellie, for being here for me. It's just hard knowing I don't got a home to go to and feel safe at- I don't got a family" He sighed.

"Look, my house is always her for you to stay at, so is the Curtis', and it's just me and my dad so we could use the company. I got a spare bedroom you can stay at tonight so you aren't here in the lot" I offered.

Its true. My dad is barely home because of his new job so I have the house basically all to myself. And I sure don't want Johnny to be staying out in the lot tonight, we're just barely transitioning to spring.

"It's nice knowin I have you El. Is it fine if I live with you for the next couple of days? I don't know if I can take walkin in my house right now" Johnny asked.

"It's more than fine, let's get going" I said while hopping off the truck bed.

__

"Johnny bear, wake up. Let's go to the Dingo and get something to eat" I said to Johnny, hesitating at first since I didn't want to startle him. He looked up and kinda squinted his eyes with a nod.

We both freshened up a bit and headed out. I've got on a pair of white flare jeans and a striped tee. As we were walking we had a regular conversation about food, Socs', love interests, everything. Turns out he had a small crush on this one girl in his grade named Betsy. I talked about how I don't have my eyes on anyone particular and that I'm just confused. I've had this little crush on Pony since I've met him, but I didn't mention it since it's not that important. When we arrived we got our table and looked over the menu.

          "Hey little man" A familiar voice said as he approached us,"Hey Dal, how ya been" Johnny replied.

          "Nothin much. So are ya on a date Ellie or what" He teased as he sat next to Johnny.

          "No we're just getting something to eat, Johnnys gonna be staying with me for a few days" I shrugged looking at both of them. Dallas got the hint that something happened with his parents.

          "Damn it man, I'm sorry bout your parents. You don't deserve that stuff" Dally said, "Nothin out of the usual" Johnny replied as Dally shook his head getting up to leave until I interrupted him.

          "Hey Dallas if you want you can stay and have breakfast with us, the more the merrier" I offered.

          "Alright, Hey Johnnycake do you got a cancer stick" Dallas asked as he sat back down. He didn't bother asking me because he knew I didn't smoke on the regular.

          We ordered and ate, having just a good time. We talked on and on and I feel like me and Johnny brought a soft side out from Dallas. He started talking about not wanting to live his life the way he does in the long run. He wants to take Johnny with him too since he hated how he is treated by his parents with a passion. I paid the bill without hesitation so that Dally and Johnny couldn't try paying anything. It's my dads money that he leaves me to use for food and stuff. We got up to leave and said out goodbyes.

          "Stay outta trouble, I really care bout you guys, and I just don't want you hurt, ya savvy?" Dallas finally said. We both nodded and it made me feel better that a guy like Dally cared about that type of stuff.

          We decided we would walk to the Curtis' house to hangout for a bit since my home didn't have much to do. As we arrived we welcomed ourselves because their door is always open. Sodapop, Steve, and Darry were all running around while getting ready for work. Two-Bit was just watching TV and Pony was doing his hair. I plopped down on the couch beside Two to watch whatever he's watching.

"Hey Keith" I smirked at him because I know he hates being called by his real name, "Elizabeth you little-" He piped as he wrapped his arms around me and grinded my head with his knuckles.

"No my hair! That's it" I huffed as I tickled him. He couldn't return it since I'm barely ticklish. He giggled and in between breaths yelled 'Stop'.

"Hey settle down you two I don't need another broken lamp" Darry echoed from the bathroom. Yeah last time me a two joked around like this we may have knocked a glass lamp over. We got the hint and laid off.

"We're headin out bye guys" Soda said as he exited the house into Darry's truck. Steve and Darry trailed behind him saying goodbye to us leaving me, Johnny, Two-Bit and Ponyboy.

__