chapter fourteen

__

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"__

__

"SODAPOP DID YOU USE ALL THE GREASE?"

"No, I didn't. Darrel got a new jar this mornin." Soda tossed me the heavy jar. I decided I wanted to fight in the rumble, Darry didn't think it was a good idea but we came to a middle ground. He told me to partner up with someone on one guy.

"Thank youu" I dragged out the you as I combed my hair back, "El can you help me get this spot down, it won't budge." Ponyboy asked me, handing his comb over.

Darry and Soda must've disappeared because it was just me and Ponyboy, "I think I like this new look. The blonde, it's tuff," I grinned at him in the mirror. His ears turned as red as a tomato.

"Are you sure about fightin' tonight?" He asked, staring at my reflection, "I should be asking if you're sure about fighting."

He looked down once again, "We can take em' on together."

"Yeah, together."

"El?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you mean what you said, that night before I left?"

"Well," my thoughts trailed, do I tell him? Do I not? Cause it's not like I didn't mean it but I don't know if it's the right time, "I don't know, how do you feel about it?"

His voice made a soothing hum, processing the question. He turned around, his hot breath fanned over my face cause of how close he was. I twirled the comb in my hands, waiting for a response. He tipped my head up with his finger, staring into my eyes. Stars were shining and it felt like we were in our own universe.

"El, I've felt that way ever since I saw Bob shoutin' at you from his mustang," his arms draped around my body like a loose hug except there was still a little bit of space between.

"Then yeah, I did mean it" by now my face is flushed with roses, my legs felt like jelly. This must be it, how it feels to be head over heals for someone.

"Would you care if I..." Pony's head stretched facing towards the wall. I could easily see his jawline, "Care if ya did what?"

"If I did this."

Without time for me to respond it happened. His lips fell into mine like a candy mold. His lips were like silk and flowed in sync with mine. As if all our worries washed away, this kiss could cure anything. His hands cupped my face and I sat my arms on his shoulders.

"No- I wouldn't mind at all." I laughed as we pulled apart. We escaped each others embrace, continuing to get ready. We'd giggle and smile up at each other occasionally like little kids. I love this feeling.

          I finished greasing my hair back into a slick low bun. I added a red lipstick to add to that Greaser girl vibe. I may dress girly but that doesn't mean I'm any less tuff. We finished getting ready and looked at each other. Pony had a smirk plastered on his face as he looked me up and down.

          "What?"

          "You look hot." He breathed. I smiled and stood on my tippy toes to peck his lips. I ran out before he could say or do anything else. Everyone stared up at me as I bounced out. I was jumping around to get myself amped up and ready to rumble.

          "Hey, looky here at this greasy gal!" Two-Bit complimented, standing up to pull me into a side hug, "Who's ready to kick some Socs' asses!" I yelled, shaking Sodapop to get up out of being seated.

          "Ponyman looks ready!" Steve smacked his shoulder as he came out with a tint of red lipstick, "Woo! Ellie what were y'all two doin?" Two-Bit teased. I blushed a deep crimson as did Ponyboy.

          I grinned widely and ran out the front door before anyone said anything. Soon enough, the Greasers funneled out, yelling and shouting pure adrenaline. I laughed and ran into the road. I reached my arms out to embrace the cool air. Steve did a flip off of the care and I clapped loudly. Ponyboy caught up to me and took my hand, swinging it as we walked. I skipped around, happiest as ever.

          When we arrived to the lot we were greeted with Shepard's gang and the Brumly boys. I stood off to the side, hidden behind Ponyboy and Darry. Darry was the main one who really wanted to keep me safe. He told me and Ponyboy that it we needed help to just yell his name.

          A series of mustangs and corvairs and other luxury cars pulled up, pouring out boys in madras and tan pants. Ponyboy squeezed my hand as they walked up. A big guy that looked like a football player walked up to Darry. They had a small dispute while looking at each other in the eye.

"Don't you know a rumble ain't a rumble without me!"

Everyone's heads whipped to Dallas Winston running from the side. That was when the first punch was thrown at Ponyboy, causing a whole riot. He took on the guy who punched him so I decided to go help him. I kneed the boy I'm the stomach, punching his eye as he bent over.

"Yeah El!" Steve complimented as he took on a guy about his size. I grinned widely as he held the Soc up to me. I kicked him hard, Steve let go of him as he fell like a sack of potatoes.

I looked around to see if anyone needed help, everyone looked occupied. My eyes panned over to Ponyboy on the ground getting kicked around like a soccer ball. I stormed over there, jumping on the Soc's back. I held him in a headlock, cutting off blood flow to his head. He managed to swat at my face a couple times, scratching it up a bit. The other boy swung his arm at me but missed. His anger grew more because he swung again.

"You little bitch!" He raged, not being able to throw a good punch, "Try harder, maybe you'll get me."

I smirked and he threw his fist in my direction but only to get his friends face square in the nose, "Or your friend, that works too."

I hopped off and the sloppy boy carried his friend away along with the other Soc's going to their cars, "We won! We won!" I yelled, a huge smile plastered on my face.

I looked down and saw Ponyboy still on the ground, struggling to get up. I ran over to him, pulling him to his feet and slinging his arm around my shoulder. Dally jogged over to us, all bruised and cut up. His lip was busted but he didn't seem to care.

"Come on," He started, pulling Pony's other arm around his shoulder. He looked over at me.

"Let's go see Johnny."

__