chapter ten

__

"Freedom from desire leads to inner peace"__

__

THE WALK to school I was on edge, expecting a mustang to pull up next to me with a catcall or slur. I don't look like a JD or a hood, so I'm guilty by association. I've been hit on many times by Soc boys but they got the hint when they saw me going to hang out with the Greasers. Two-Bit and Steve have planned on taking the week off of school, assuming they won't be here today. I like to keep good grades so I'll go today to get all my work.

I arrived during the passing period from 3rd to 4th. I walked in through a gate that led to the field and courtyard. I tried blending into the people around me, walking up next to a group of girls as if they were my friends. I paced myself so i matched them.

I chose the wrong group of people to walk up next to because seconds later a group of Socs approached, must've been their boyfriends. My eyes widened when I saw a familiar face that was in the red corvair. I quickly turned around and walked a separate way to class until someone yelled up at me.

"Hey, never seen a fine girl here like you before," a boy whistled, noticing I walked off. I ignored it and kept walking. A hand smacked my ass and steam piped out of my ears. I puckered my lips in disgust and kept walking.

          "Playing hard to get ain't ya!" Another voice teased. A firm hand swung me around and caught me off guard. I stumbled backwards with wide eyes. His grip tightened once her realized who I was.

          "Hey guys, this is that girl who's hangin round the Greasers!" He shouted to the other Socs. The girls stood back, whispering into one another's ear. I stayed silent.

          "You guys murdered my best bud, you're gonna pay" He spat on my face so I brought up my free hand to wipe it off. His other hand grabbed my arm and threw me to the ground.

         "Hey man, that wasn't very nice," I retaliated sarcastically and grabbed his ankle, pulling him to the ground. He fell with a large thud. He gave a look to the other boys to get me. One had dirty blondes hair with green eyes. The other had curly brown hair that I recognized from the other night. He's the Soc dating Marcia. I shot him a fiery glare and he rolled his eyes.

          I struggled in their grip but they wouldn't budge. I wiggled my way loose enough so that I could slide under them and out. I backed up watching them start towards me. They towered over me by at least a foot. I turned around and got a face full of books. It was Cherry by herself. It looked like she had been crying.

         "Sorry!" I said frantically and looked behind me. A boys face was straight in directions to mine. He pulled my shirt back so I bolted my elbow out so it crashed into his stomach. He bent over and groaned, "You little bitch!".

         "Guys stop it" Cherry yelled at the other Socs as she stepped in between me, "She and her little gang killed your boyfriend. Don't you want a piece of her too?" One growled while trying to get past her.

          "Come on, grow up. Save it for whatever rumble you wanna plan" She shrugged him off and they stepped back from their aggressiveness. They walked past me with their face bubbling with anger and defeat. The curly haired one looked me up and down and shot a pained grin.

          "Thanks, but I could handle them" I rubbed my arm where their hands pinched at, the tight grip left a read mark.

          "No problem, I just didn't want them to be starting anything. It's dumb" She looked down as she was picking up her books. I kneeled to the ground to help her.

          "So they're planning a rumble huh?" I asked trying to make conversation, "Yeah, they're so worked up about Bob and what happened" Her voice was soft and frail, not like before when she talked back to Dallas Winston.

          "I'm sorry about that, your boyfriend and all" I tried comforting her. I couldn't be mad at her, she never really did anything wrong.

          "Thanks. I heard Ponyboy and that Johnny kid ran away. I hope they're doing well" We stood up and now we were walking side by side, "Yeah they're all good, shaken up. You probably never wanna see them again though" I added.

         "No, Bob probably deserved it" She remarked while straightening her back from a slouched curve.

         "You think that?" I whispered as if she just told me a secret. She laughed, but it was pained.

          "Sure, He was my boyfriend. I loved him, but he did a lot of messed up things. I knew something like that would happen," She explained. I nodded listening to her, "I guess I never expected it to happen so soon. He's just a kid, part of me wishes he could've changed, but he didn't".

          "Man, I'm sorry Cherry. I never thought of it in that way" I noticed she's silently crying, without the sobs. Silent tears streaked down from her eyes.

          "It's like your friend Dallas, you probably wish he could change the way he is but think 'one day or another he'll be gone'" She went off on a rant, gasping out for air as her eyes squinted and mouth curled down. I pulled her into a hug and she bawled into my shoulder like I'm her best friend. I reassured 'its okay' over and over

          The more I think about what she said, the deeper a pit in my stomach digs. I don't want Dally to die, I don't want any of us Greasers to die. Thinking about death and stuff brought me to tears, so I cried with her. Cherry pulled away with a smile.

          "You're too pretty to cry" She grinned through her heartbreak and wiped my tears, "That's all you pretty lady".

          I would've never imagined myself feeling so close to a girl like Cherry Valance so instantly. I thought I could never liked her for I was jealous. Maybe about the whole Ponyboy thing, but also about her perfect life.

          Turns out not everything's sunny on the west side.

__
sorry for the short chapters! lifes been busy, more updates soon xo