chapter three

__

"I get butterflies just thinking about the next time I'll see you"

__

         WE LOUNGED around the TV for a few hours watching movies. I began getting a little sleepy and dozed off until the boys started being loud and talking and stuff, "Be quiettt" I groaned at them.

"Oh sorry, you can go into my room if you don't want your nap to be interrupted" Ponyboy said in a sweet tone. I nodded and smiled as I got up and went to his room.

I laid down on the bed. It's quite bouncy but it's soft. I laid my head down on what I assume is Ponyboys pillow because his scent still lingered. I like the smell of him, it's clean and like an ocean breeze, but it doesn't give you a headache. I shivered a bit because it got a little cold. I reached over the the chair at Pony's desk and grabbed his zip up coat and put it on. I'm only wearing a t shirt and pants so the jacket warmed me up just fine. With that I slowly fell into a deep sleep.

P O N Y B O Y

          El left about an hour ago to go take a nap so I decided to check on her. I was feeling sleepy myself so I might just stay in there. I opened the door and it creaked a little. I tiptoed in to see her with a soft smile on her face. She had my jacket on which made me grin a little. She looked so peaceful and serene so I tried not to wake her up. I laid next to her as quietly as possible and soon enough fell asleep.

__

          "Ponyboy I don't like you like that. You're nothin but a Grease why would I?" She scoffed as she had her two new Soc friends beside her giggling, "I- I just thought maybe there was something but I guess not" I said, my voice cracking.

          "I got feelings for someone else. Sorry" El shrugged as a Soc boy that I've seen around school walked up and glared at me. The rings. That's the same damn Soc that jumped Johnny.

          "How could you Elizabeth? That same boy jumped Johnny. Some friend you are" I sneered at her. I may have came off a bit strong but I just let my feelings get a hold of me.

          "Did you really think I'd stick with you hoods? I honestly thought you were smarter" She laughed. My eyes were glossed over and hurt.

          "Beat it Greaser" Her guy grumbled. I stared at her and just turned. My heart ached. She really was able to forget us for some Soc.

__

          My eyes shot open in a cold sweat. I glanced to the side of me to see Ellie sound asleep. I took deep breaths to try to calm myself down from that nightmare. It made me realize how much she matters to me, I can't let her go. I won't let her turn into some Soc and I most certainly won't allow myself to lose her. I promise to myself to keep her safe and away from trouble. It's only been a month in a half yet it feels like I've known Elizabeth my whole life. I rolled over a little bit and snaked my arm around her. She tensed up but realized it was just me and relaxed. She melted into my arms and molded her body into mine without effort- as if it's meant to be.

I've always admired her. I mean, how could you not. She's a doll, whoever she ends up with is a lucky man. I hope he can adore her like I would. Her porcelain skin, soft and fluffy hair and the brightest smile in the world. I'm too much of a chicken to step up and tell her how I feel. Maybe one day, but not now.

E L I Z A B E T H

Ponyboy had snuck into the bed with me, careful not to wake me up. I was asleep but still aware as I felt Sodas side cave in slightly. He just wrapped his arm around me. My heart melted, more than butterflies fluttered in my stomach. He's not like any other boy I've known. It's like he does everything with passion and thought. Oh how I wish I could turn around and plant a kiss on his lips. Maybe he felt the same way, but I don't know if I could handle a relationship like that right now. I don't need it.

__

I've been laying in Ponyboys arms for a while. I've been awake I just don't want to leave his embrace. I gather the will however to get up as I started getting numb. I stepped into the living room to find Sodapop sprawled on the couch watching TV and Darry reading the newspaper in his chair.

"Hey kid didn't think you were still here" Soda bubbled as he sat up, "Yeah I fell asleep- what time is it?" I asked.

"6:32" Darry replied after looking at his watch. I stretched my limbs out a little bit and cracked my neck and knuckles.

"I need to move, do you wanna go on a walk?" I asked both of them. I only expected Soda to say yes because this is Darry's relaxation time, "Yeah I need to get off this couch".

We went outside and began walking in the light misty breeze. Soda had his hands stuffed in his pockets and just looked at his surroundings. It was a comfortable kind of silence.

"So was Ponyboy in there with you" Soda said breaking the silence. I nodded and he gave my a look as if he was asking if we 'did anything'.

"No- we were just sleeping and nothing more" I quickly said before he got any thoughts, "You sure?" He pressed the question a little more and I couldn't contain myself.

"And maybe a little cuddling- but we're just friends. That's what friends do" I gave in. I knew no matter what I said after that Soda wouldn't listen to.

"Ah that's what couples do, me and Sandy used to do that" He chuckled. Wait- "What do you mean used to?" I questioned with my eyebrows knit in confusion.

He sighed, "I'm not gonna be able to get out of this one, right?" I nodded, expecting an answer,"Well...Sandy- she uh.." His voice quivered as if he's on the verge of tears.

          "She told me a couple days ago she's leavin to Florida to live with her grandma" Soda admitted, "Oh Sodapop I'm so sorry" I said in attempt to comfort him but he ended up shedding a few tears. I engulfed him in a hug as he rested his chin on my head. We stood there for a good few seconds until I pulled apart.

          "Do you know why she left so suddenly?" I asked. Not the best idea because he just broke down. He sad down on the curb and buried his face in his hands, "Another guy got her pregnant and she don't want anything to do with me" He bawled. I rubbed his back.

          I feel so bad, Soda doesn't deserve this. He's a good guy, and he treated Sandy like a new puppy. He loved her with everything he had in him and that's what he got in return? Too bad she's just another broad. I could tell Sodapop is still in love with her even if she did the things she did. I don't want him to still try to go after her, but I don't think right now is the right time to say that.

          He gathered himself together and thanked me for being here for him. The rest of the walk was just small talk about a bunch of different things. He was still hurting but he had the courage to keep his feelings bottled. I wish I could just sock Sandy for making him go through this. Is that wrong?

__